Lock this please!

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

mikeyg
PSN Username:mikeyg95
Lock this please!

Post by mikeyg » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm

What are some simple tricks I can make my computer faster?
It is slow, and can barely play videos. :(
I use Windows XP, and some emachines computer. IDK specs, but meh. Help!
Last edited by mikeyg on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Re: Making My Computer Faster?

Post by Harshboy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 pm

Well...uninstall useless software, run CCleaner multiple times, delete trash files, update the OS, use good software

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

well, if you honestly want the root cause of your computer being slow, its windows. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Specs are helpful. Telling use what kind of video you are playing is good, too. For all we know, you're trying to play a HD video on a PII.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 pm

...and that would be serious fail.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 pm

basically anything bigger than an h.264 encoded 720P video is NOT going to play with watchable framerates on anything less than an upper range p4 box. my PC is p4 2.53ghz 2gb ram radeon x1600 pro gfx card running xp pro SP3 and on a 1440x768 h.264 video i can manage full FPS if i run it in high priority in zoomplayer, it lags too much in anything else :lol:

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:57 pm

CCleaner is your friend, and they update pretty quick.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 pm

What model is your eMachines? You definitely want to run a few utilities on it, clean up the temp files, and defrag. On top of that, upgrade the RAM. RAM is a very cheap, very effective upgrade.

Free fixes:

Utilities:

- MSCONFIG : It's built into Windows. It will tell you what your PC is loadingat statup and let you non-destructively disable some things. If you disable something and it turns out to be necessary, just click its check box again!

- CCLEANER : GREAT cleaner! Purges all the old unneccessary temp files you don't need. Definitely a good thing to do anyway, but it will speed up defrag times. Get the "Slim" build; it doesn't come with the Yahoo toolbar. Have it remove things like hotfix uninstallers too.

- DEFRAGGLER : A defrag utility from the same company that makes CCleaner. Does a faster job than the utility built into Windows.

- Ad-Aware : A great adware removal utility. It couldn't hurt to run it.

- PC Decrapifier : If your'e running a mostly original factory install of Windows, chances are it's loaded with a bunch of junkware like "trial versions" of Office and Quicken. This removes all of that. You might not want to do it on a broken-in system, but it's great if you start fresh.

Tweaks

- Move the swap file to another physical hard drive : You'll see a little improvement, though not as much as if you buy more RAM. You won't see any difference if you're moving it to another partition on the same physical hard drive, or a second hard drive on one IDE bus.

- Make the Recycle Bin smaller if you're hurting for room : By default in XP, the Recycle Bin dedicates 5-10% of your hard drive for itself, regardless of how much is in it. Bump this down a bit (but don't completely disable it!) if your'e really hurting for space.

Cheap fix:

- Buy more RAM : RAM is the cheapest and most effective upgrade you can perform on a computer (unless it uses Rambus RIMMS :lol:). Depending on your model computer and how old it is, you can probably use 2 or 4 gigs of DDR1 or DDR2 RAM. Youc an look up what kind of RAM your computer needs at http://www.kahlon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More expensive fix:

- Get a new hard drive and install fresh on it. Your computer should have come with System Restore CDs. If it doesn't, there may be a utility to make your own on the computer, or you can order some from your manufacturer. Once you have the CDs, install the new hard drive (there should be at least 1 space for an additional one; if not you might need a baya dapter to mount it in a CD drive bay). Completely disconnect the old hard drive so there is absolutely no way to delete your stuff! Once the new system is up and running, run PC Decrapifier to get rid of all the noide OEMs load on their computers. Now load all your good software on it. Finally, when everything's running smooth, shut it down and reconnect your old hard drive so you can copy over your new stuff. Not onlyw ill this leave you with a fresh install, but it will also give you more room to work with. This is best if you also upgrade the RAM.
samjc3 wrote:well, if you honestly want the root cause of your computer being slow, its windows. :wink:
What do you suggest he use? Linux?

Better to do something slowly than not be able to do it at all! :P Non-tearing Flash video? Video editing? YouDontNeedThat(tm)!

Besides, I have an XP SP1a computer that runs just like the day I built it, and it has seen heavy daily use for years. :P

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:58 pm

bicostp wrote:
samjc3 wrote:well, if you honestly want the root cause of your computer being slow, its windows. :wink:
What do you suggest he use? Linux?

Better to do something slowly than not be able to do it at all! :P Non-tearing Flash video? Video editing? YouDontNeedThat(tm)!

Besides, I have an XP SP1a computer that runs just like the day I built it, and it has seen heavy daily use for years. :P
actually, i was going to suggest running dos 5, but i doubt that would be good for him. and as for linux, it would solve his speed concerns. it is much much faster than windows. :wink: adn for the average computer user, it is just as useful. and im sure there is a video editor or 50 out there. :?
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 pm

samjc3 wrote: actually, i was going to suggest running dos 5
Well, I don't want to buy a whole new program....
Also, I can't get videos to play using itunes, any reason why?
I frequently use itunes, firefox, audacity, and a youtube to ipod video convertor..

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 pm

When was the last time you did a complete system virus scan? Malware scan? Do you have Norton installed?

If you need those utilities, get AntiVir or AVG for antivirus (both are free). Don't install more than 1 antivirus program or they'll "fight" and cause problems. For anti-malware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware are both good.

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:48 pm

I use spybot, but that's it...

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Spybot alone isn't going to get much. You need antivirus as well. Avira Antivirus and AVG Free edition are both free and effective. (Remember: only install 1 antivirus at a time!)

Like we all said, do full system scans with antivirus, antimalware, CCleaner, and a defrag utility. You should see an improvement.

Please download CPU-Z, run it, and post a screenshot of the window it gives you, so we know what you've got to work with.

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your PC?

mikeyg

Post by mikeyg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 pm

What should I use to host pics?
I have never dusted it, and I'll download the other stuff tomorrow.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:53 pm

mikeyg wrote:What should I use to host pics?
http://www.tinypic.com