Custom PC Build - Need Help Now!

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Biased
Re: EDIT: Custom PC build - info on Hackintosh welcome!

Post by Biased » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 pm

I decided on going with a socket LGA 775 EVGA nForce 730i GeForce 9300. I did this for three reasons: I got it for $120 - which is cheap enough, I have a $20 rebate, and there are integrated graphics, which means I can procrastinate with buying a GPU. I ignored the slightly negative feedback from various forums and personal review sites about this board because of the last reason. The next step is getting a processor for it, though.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0312980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0316263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0299412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I should just spring the extra $20 for the Q9550. All in all it would total to about $182. Any suggestions?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Custom PC Build

Post by bicostp » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Go for the 9550. I have one and it cruises through just about everything. 8)

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:18 pm

9550. definitely.

Biased

Post by Biased » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Got the 9550 just a few minutes ago. The heatsink and fan look kind of shifty...

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:06 pm

They're just the typical Intel HSF combo. It will be fine for running at stock speed as long as your case has good air circulation, but you might want to get a better cooler anyway.

Get one with a backplate you can screw into. The ones that just use pins (Intel's and a lot of cheap aftermarket coolers do) are tricky to get on right, and installing them makes your motherboard make all kinds of unnerving crackling noises.

Biased

Post by Biased » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Kk. What kind of thermal paste should I use for my heatsink for now?

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:12 pm

AS5!

Biased

Post by Biased » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Lol just bought some AS5 for $4 because I need some FAST (the rest of my rig will be here on Wednesday!) and I'm getting anxious. I don't know much about thermal paste... can anyone give me some info? How vital is it to use? Does it adhere to the heatsink and the CPU and become concrete?

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Don't waste your Arctic Silver on the cheap Intel HSF. (It won't make much of a difference vs the thin layer of stuff Intel shipped the cooler with, because the entire heatsink is aluminum.) Use the Intel cooler as-is for now until you have the scratch to get a decent aftermarket cooler.

If you really insist on using it, clean off the paste that's already on the cooler or it will just make a mess. Also, be careful with the Arctic Silver; it conducts electricity so don't let it get anywhere it shouldn't.

Biased

Post by Biased » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:52 am

Ok thanks for the advice. I was wondering if it was important since the intel manual didn't say anything about applying thermal paste, but the EVGA manual did and used images of the intel heatsink fan.

I've still got about $250 more to pump into this rig if I want a graphics card and since I need a disc drive and RAM. Does this RAM seem legit for $46? I'm trying to make the rest of the rig inexpensive since I might be moving soon and need to save money after I'm done making it. I can get this Lite-On BD Drive for $70. If I buy over $100 of stuff (that disc drive bundled with that RAM) at TigerDirect shipping is $1.99

EDIT: Post 200 :P

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 am

The Intel HSF has some dark grey thermal compound on it already. You don't need to add any.

You might want to think about getting a 4gb (2x 2gb) set of RAM. It should be less than twice the price, so you'll get more for your money. (Provided, of course, your motherboard can use 2 gig sticks.)

The only problem with that Blu-Ray drive is it's not a DVD/CD burner. Get it if you have a DVD+-RW drive you can recycle from another PC, or not being able to burn CDs or DVDs isn't a big deal for you.

Biased

Post by Biased » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 am

Whoa, I thought I linked to a 4GB set, guess my searching skills aren't very good. And I think I'm going to recycle the DVD drive I have now for burning.

Does all of the RAM you use have to be the same? My motherboard supports 667MHz and 800MHz and I'll be using two gigs of 667 for now. I've never thought of pairing PC5400 with PC6400. My initial thought is that it wouldn't work, right?

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:14 pm

It will work, but I think it will all run at the slower speed. (It was that way with old-style PC100/133 RAM, might be the same with DDR.)

Biased

Post by Biased » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Currently, it won't work with two different types of RAM that it says it supports, so I'm stuck with 1GB of PC5400.

Also, windows doesn't recognize me as having a GPU at all, which is strange because I'm using the computer right now... Any suggestions? All attempts to install geforce 9 series drivers results in the installer not finding any compatible devices and terminating installation.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Biased wrote:Also, windows doesn't recognize me as having a GPU at all, which is strange because I'm using the computer right now... Any suggestions? All attempts to install geforce 9 series drivers results in the installer not finding any compatible devices and terminating installation.
Have you installed the motherboard's drivers?