Visual C++ Express question

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

robm
Visual C++ Express question

Post by robm » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Visual C++ Express has a web browser object that I'm having problems trying to find code examples that actually works. I'm not actually wanting a usable web browser window, I just need to have the control operate invisibly (which I have accomplished,) but I have not been able to find applicable, working examples on how to navigate to a web page or any information on how to manipulate the information gathered from a web page.

Anyone have any experience with this? Standard Visual C++ syntax is NOT working, and I've spent all afternoon trying different variants of the examples found on MSDN.

ghosstt

Re: Visual C++ Express question

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm not sure what exactly your asking. You want it to run invisibly in the background and rip information from a pre-designated webpage?

robm

Post by robm » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Quite frankly, I'd be happy with just being able to manipulate the control and figure the rest out by myself at this point. For instance, I'm used to Visual Basic-style syntax of label1.text to modify the text field, etc, but I'm not sure of how to do that in Visual C++. The code given by the actual help system itself gives this:

Code: Select all

public:
void Navigate(
    String^ urlString
)
When compiled, gives me this error:

Code: Select all

Linking...
Playing around.obj : error LNK2020: unresolved token (06000006) Playingaround.Form1::Navigate
D:\Portfolio\New Folder\Playing around\Debug\Playing around.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Yeah - that's managed C++ (.NET). There should be some way to create an un-managed project.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Ya, C++ is pretty much nothing like VB.net. (With the way it handles objects and their classes) You could probably do this in vb.net if you really wanted to. Sorry I'm not much help on the syntax, I only know a tad bit of C++. Ask Skyone or Black Six, both whom I'm pretty sure are proficient in it. (Seems as if Sky posted right when I clicked the reply button)

robm

Post by robm » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Hmmm, ok thanks, I'll keep hacking at it!