Game project... Team wanted.

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Re: Game project... Team wanted.

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

One person in here is old enough to remember grand theft portable. It was so amazing and popular it got its own forum (This one. It's been renamed twice).

It got reasonably far, but then interest died. And interest will continue to die.

Think about Diablo 3. When Blizzard announced it, everyone was like "Wow diablo 3 that'll be great i'll buy it i'll beta test it ohmygodpleaseletmehelpgetitoutfaster!!!".

No recent updates, and here we are a few months later, and it's nearly completely forgotten. People are still working on it, yes, but they aren't the people who said they would, they're people getting paid to do it.
Hey, sup?

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 am

do you already have an idea? a format? you'll definitely need people with the ability to create and animate 3d models as well as people who code. You'll need some way to transfer assets amongst your staff. You'll need lots of time, you'll need a publisher, you'll need capital.

if you plan on publishing the game you're going to need a business plan to secure financing to work with certain companies or just get better contracts - and that is not an easy thing to write. You'll need to know what everything is going to cost you, and how much it's going to cost them. Your game has to make their time worth your money.

there's a reason games never go anywhere. Do all the planning before you even think about development. The game should be complete on pen and paper (possibly even playable outside of a digital format) before you develop. Once you have the rules and a general idea for the necessary components you can begin engine development and art development.

Indie development is not impossible, but if you're going to do it you need to have specific goals and a less than rough guideline. "I wanna make a game cuz I'm bored" only works if you already know how to make games. If you just want to make something as a learning process, I suggest starting with Blender for art and C# as your coding language. Blender is a free 3D program and C#, while not as powerful as C or C++, is definitely a good place to start.

If you just want to use a game maker, Unity 3D is insanely awesome for the price, but don't expect to go very far without the skill previously mentioned.

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:15 pm

if it was writtin in Java i could help
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

donutprince

Post by donutprince » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:33 pm

sign me up, i cant belive no one has said this...... beta tester :mrgreen:

but i could help make videos for it (i.e trailers, gameplay , into etc)

simon66

Post by simon66 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:01 pm

So what? Are you guys still up for the chalenge? Me and some other friend started a game log time ago. This is what I remeber from our idea.

We had 2 senario.

senario 1:

This is in the future and the character is around 30 year old (dark colored hair, like normal muscular, male) and we had like futuristic weapons, and cars. I cant remeber the story that much but I had started on a shockwave shotgun. It uses 12 elecshells ( it shots like an electric shell). I dont have the model with me because was like 3 years ago and we gave up the idea because I didnt own a PC ( well I have a computer but it was my brother and he would always get a virus and reformat it with out aving my stuffs), I also was workinging in a character ( like a female robot).

Senario2:

Cant remeber the year. Its a 'cool' male character that owns many types of swords and guns. This was more like a gore game, eg. when you hit your sword in a guy you would like cut his arm off or cut him in half exposing his organs and stuff, and when shot in the head, his brains would come off and so on. I also made a character for this and his weapon. I still hav the drawing with me, ill try to find it.

BTW, if anyone has an idea of a futuristic Gun, just draw it at a side and front angle. I would be glad to make a 3D model of it.

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm kinda experienced in Unity 3D, I own a license, and would love to help make a game about all of us! lol! We need someone who can create our models and rig them. I would, since I also own Maya and Cinema 4D, but don't know how to rig that well, and my models usually suck, I am still working on my skills lol.

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

Erlex
Steam ID:Pelican417

Post by Erlex » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am

Hm. Sorry, but no offense but not only is that story a little... cliché, you are not really starting in a good place. Although it is fun to entertain the idea of just jumping into a game project in the middle of it, i.e. just making up a story with cool sounding names for guns and such; you really ought to start "simpler," more of a general story line. Who, what, when, where, why; the basics if you will. Think about a lot of the things MasterPrime said in his post.

Take it from someone who has been making mods and games for almost ten years, you are light years away from even thinking about modeling weapons and characters. I am not trying to discourage you. You can do it, it will just consume your life. You have to really like what you are doing. It can't be just a vague interest. If the latter sounds more like you, then try developing simple mods for games, its a lot of fun and its great practice if you are perhaps planning on perusing a career in game development.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:10 am

You guys do know that the thread starter hasn't posted since June...

Erlex
Steam ID:Pelican417

Post by Erlex » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Lol whoops. I didn't even check the date... :facepalm:

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:54 am

vskid wrote:You guys do know that the thread starter hasn't posted since June...
also, I don't think a buncha dudes on the forums with no appreciable skills would be able to pull off a game.

why doesn't someone finish the link to the past remix? That's a good project.

knowledgegranted

Post by knowledgegranted » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:09 am

Hey guys,

I use to be the lead designer for "Moonbeam" studios, its not around anymore due to the economy but I can definitely provide some help for this project. I know C++ and have licenses to over 10 gaming engines, I also have extensive knowledge in computer graphics and 3d modeling; I use Maya, and Max on a daily basis. If any one were to come up pretty serious I would be interested in helping out.
An enthusiast in all of my interests, computers, consumer electronics, engineering, politics, economics, and global affairs.