Project LASER (BenHeck videogame)

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:03 pm

palmertech wrote:Some more transitional frames might be needed
I don't think so, especially if you are going for the retro feel. Mario only has three run/walk sprites IIRC.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Well due to the project not being cared for, I'll take this whole project into my own hands when I'm done with a few other things.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:37 am

Not being cared for? Shame on you for making assumptions! :P

I am making solid progress on sprites, but because of life/school, it is somewhat time-consuming. I am also doing some cleanup and mixing work on the music, I could post that if people want a gander.

Because you wanted to take this in a new direction, I had to scrap some of the level design I was working on (Fine with that, nothing amazing, anyway. :P ). So right now, I am supposed to work on new storyline, some sprites to work with, and probably some music (The first two you specifically said I should do before you could start doing any coding). A good chunk of work, it is, and I will post when I actually have something worth showing, and that you would be able to do something with.

Don't think you can commandeer and "Take this whole project" to yourself that easily, Skyone. :wink:

Excellent

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Any updates?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:22 pm

Right now, I am trying to:

1. Make full spritesheet for main character with no weapon/with handgun

2. Remix some of the music, clean up the noise from the tape transfer

3. Get some sort of rudimentary story/level design done.

Not sure when I will finish that, probably within a week or so. :P

Excellent

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 pm

palmertech wrote:clean up the noise from the tape transfer
I could have a shot at doing that, but I need at least a few seconds of just noise so I can filter that out.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Project LASER (BenHeck videogame)

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Sounds like a great concept, but I think the labor needs to be more explicitly divided. People should not be in charge of more than one area.

Break the game down into component parts:
- game design
- gameplay
- graphics
- sound

If you have more people, break it down further; for example, sound split into sound effects and music. One person should only be in charge of putting it all together and getting it done.

I have some experience in 2D game design (Gamemaker), but I don't have time to necessarily be a "core" member.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:30 pm

I think you guys need to STOP coding, drawing, whatever and plan it out first. Then stick to your plan. The plan should include gameplay, graphics, everything. It should be detailed but not too detailed.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Been doing that, I lost a good chunk of work from my Windows 7 install, made a formatting mistake. :( I have most of my folders updating to a network drive, but I forgot to add the LASER one. DOH!

So now I need to try and recover it, or suck it up and start over. Luckily, I had all the music burned to a CD. :D

As for your suggestions: I am supposed to be the guy who "puts it together" in a perfect world, but nobody seems interested in doing much. So, right now it is me, Skyone, and that is about it. That leaves Sky with coding, and me with everything else (Note: This is not Skyone's fault, I just need to get my act together).

If YOU are interested with helping on the storyline, PM me or add me on AIM. I am open to suggestions.

Also, why is my first post all messed up AND COMPLETELY GONE?!?!11 :( it was like 2000 words, and had a full detailed plan. Of sorts. :lol:

Excellent

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:00 am

Hey now. I volunteered for this and am still willing to help. You get me a design document so I know what I need to code and a source control server that I can sync code to and I'll be more than willing to get on it. :)
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:02 pm

palmertech wrote:As for your suggestions: I am supposed to be the guy who "puts it together" in a perfect world, but nobody seems interested in doing much. So, right now it is me, Skyone, and that is about it. That leaves Sky with coding, and me with everything else (Note: This is not Skyone's fault, I just need to get my act together).

If YOU are interested with helping on the storyline, PM me or add me on AIM. I am open to suggestions.
I can help with storyline and stuff like that, but even after reading the entire thread, I don't even know what you're trying to do. Was the 2D/3D battle finished? What kind of game is it? What kind of story did you have in mind?

I willing to give suggestions and that, but neither I nor anyone else is quite sure what the plan is.

Please let us know!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:32 pm

@Black Six: Awesome, I thought you has said you could help once there was some real progress. Have any preference/suggestions as to where to put the code? I am not too familiar with that scene, the limited coding I have done is all on my own, never needed to have anywhere but my computer. ;)

@Eagle: The first post used to have an extremely detailed roadmap, it is gone, for some reason. :( I am gonna see if I have a copy of it on one of my computers.

Excellent

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:15 pm

I finally got around to watching The Adventurous. It didn't make sense, so I watched Adventure too. They were awesome! The special effects weren't as good as Hollywood movies but they were just as entertaining. Probably more entertaining. Ben should make a sequel, maybe with Communists *hint hint*

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:42 am

palmertech wrote:@Black Six: Awesome, I thought you has said you could help once there was some real progress. Have any preference/suggestions as to where to put the code? I am not too familiar with that scene, the limited coding I have done is all on my own, never needed to have anywhere but my computer. ;)
My suggestions:
Subversion
RapidSVN
I've never set them up though, only used similar things. So if someone else has a better idea of how to do version control for this project, please speak up!
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:54 pm

I wanna be a character in the game! I need to make a sprite or two of me.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;