Which coding language is more valuable...

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Kazaryster
Which coding language is more valuable...

Post by Kazaryster » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Me and my cousin on which coding language is more widely used open and a like (basiccally which is better) i was just wondering about your opinions.

C++/C# v.s. Java

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:56 pm

C.
Hey, sup?

jleemero

Re: Which coding language is more valuable...

Post by jleemero » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Kazaryster wrote: C++/C# v.s. Java
Wait, are you throwing C++ and C# together?
Because let me tell you, that's one hell of a gap.

Though I could probably give an opinion here, I won't.
The fact that you called them "coding languages" has put me off to it.
*shudder*

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 pm

C++ is the king.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Haha, honestly? C. C++ if you're going to be ignorant enough to forget about ol' faithful. :P

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:52 pm

Neither! BASIC 4ever! :P

Actually, I have no idea. Depends on what you're developing for I guess.

Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:13 am

Skyone wrote:Haha, honestly? C. C++ if you're going to be ignorant enough to forget about ol' faithful. :P
Well technically, C++ is almost a perfect superset of C89, and C99 doesn't have the uptake to make its divergences from C89 significant. Hell, developers are discouraged from writing C++-incompatible C99 code. On that basis, I'd think it fair enough to call C++ "more valuable"...whatever the hell that means. >_>

Stupid question is stupid, though. There're probably ~250billion lines of COBOL code out there at this very moment, and I wouldn't be surprised if VB, C# and Java code bases are growing at rates substantially greater than C/C++. And there's a good chance that there're more lines of x86 Assembly out there than all of 'em put together. :P

Anyway, a bit of a breakdown: C and C++ are the main candidates for systems, real-time and platform-specific programming. Java's getting a lot of attention in all facets of the web, and grabbing a nice chunk of the applications development market - especially when platform-independence is a concern. C# and other .NET languages are ideal for Microsoft platforms, the web, and rapid application development (RAD) - and may yet take on Java in the virtual machine stakes. COBOL still dominates mainframe programming, which may or may not change with the shake-up the industry is currently experiencing.

If you're trying to pick a first language, I'd go for either C++, Java or VB.NET. Take your pick, really, I don't think any one of them is easier than the rest overall.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:55 am

I found java to be easier to learn than C, but C's the king.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:21 am

Learn C first if you dont know it.

It has much to offer in the ways of curly brackets and semicolons.

Once you can do C well, C++ and Java are both a piece of cake. They use the exact same syntax, but with many many more features (most importantly, objects).

object oriented programming, or OOT, is a bit of a jump. Visual basic is a good way to get into OOT.

My work makes welding robotics, they use mostly C, C++ and Visual Basic.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

grahf

Post by grahf » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 am

Just plain ansi C, without a doubt. From there, learning C++ is a snap. But I would certainly recommend learning C first.

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:43 am

timmeh87 wrote:Learn C first if you dont know it.

It has much to offer in the ways of curly brackets and semicolons.

Once you can do C well, C++ and Java are both a piece of cake. They use the exact same syntax, but with many many more features (most importantly, objects).

object oriented programming, or OOT, is a bit of a jump. Visual basic is a good way to get into OOT.

My work makes welding robotics, they use mostly C, C++ and Visual Basic.
actually :D (don't think i'm trying to be a wiseass but its not just my theory ;)) you should learn JAVA first, and then step to other languages.

if you start a study informatica or technical informatica on the university they both start the first year learning you java, ti will then switch to C and then add ASM to the package, just inf will stick to java and will learn you some basics of C since java has nice simple ways to do stuff while C actually makes you write the code to actually do something...

hope that explanation makes sence :D

but first of all figure out what youre planning to create. this will make the choise easyer.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:18 am

timmeh87 wrote:object oriented programming, or OOT, is a bit of a jump. Visual basic is a good way to get into OOT.
um... I think you mean OOP; OOT usually refers to Ocarina of Time :wink:

gamecube6

Post by gamecube6 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 am

My vote goes with C

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:40 am

BASIC is the sh!t... Apple II and Commodore 64 FTW!!! :P
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:49 am

Depending on what you want to program is kind of what language you should learn.

C++/VB are best if you want to make modern programs with GUI front-ends. You can games in these, kind of "duh" with C++, but VB can do some work. Be prepared for large files with VB though.

C is good if you want to do a lot of simple programming. Things like drivers, utility programs and the such. You can do game programming, but it's not going to be as easy as C++ or other object oriented languages.

BASIC.... is just that, basic. Just about all the things you can do in C you can do in BASIC. The biggest difference is that BASIC you can change and test the code faster, as it is a script language.

Java.. I would have to agree with the above statement that if you're going to learn this learn some C syntax. And if you plan to have it on line in browsers, if you haven't already learn PHP, HTML and possibly SQL. You'll likely need them to get it working.

Really there are dozens others out there it's really what you need to program. And one last thing is you don't have to learn C to learn C++, if you have your eye and heart set on using C++ go right for it.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.