VB coding

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
VB coding

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:14 pm

I know a damn good number of the people that can program know VB, so I'm looking for some help on a project I'd like to get going in a few weeks. I do some table-top RPG gaming (yes it's still alive), and I want to see about making a program that can generate characters. This entitles me to have to do many dice rolls for stats and pluses. I know about RAND, and how to make it so it's set to roll numbers 1-x.

I'd like to know if there are some operations I could use to make this easier. Something like a way to stack random rolls (2 or more) and have them all added to the same variable. I'd like to make this simple as the characters and the classes I'll be working with are by no stretch of the imagination simple.

I'm also going to say that this is going to be very simple like the basic Windows project, in looks anyways. It's just going to be: Selected RCC (human, ect.), Selected OCC (Soldier, Cyborg, ect.), Select skills, and select level (if an NPC). This way I can roll a character up in a few seconds, or really an NPC instead of writing everything down and taking half an hour.

Sorry for the long explanation, just wanted you guys to know where I plan to go with this. Oh and I likely will be using VB Studio (ie, VB 7).
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:57 am

Samples of what you've done before?

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Sorry for the delay, but I've been working on getting VB installed so that I can really start the coding process.

I'm looking to make NPC character generator. Now the game is to work with goes by six sided die rolls. So the original idea was to have it where it would take information about the character class (aka RCC) and then call a Rand (1,6) whatever number of times it was required for the attributes. Another idea I had was to have a rand for each attribute and RCC, though is will make the program much larger and I think is a sloppy way to writing code.

In addition to that I need to have a section of code, I'll likely be able to do this myself, the bonuses. Example of this is if you have a physical strength (ps) of over 15 you have a bonus of whatever that is over 15. Quick way to figure it out is if over 15, psValue - 15 = psBonus. Or something like that. Is this a clear as mud?

To add to the complexity I want to have the ability to bring in skills but I'll likely leave that for after I get the basic stats portion done. The skills for the game are fairly simple, either being a plus 1-3 to a stats or it's a plus of 1D6 (1 six side die roll).

All this summed up on a simple print report, two columns. Hopefully with the option to print or save to disk.

Yes I know not as ambitious as trying to make my own game but this is something I think I can get most done with my programming skills. However I'm not without asking for help. If someone could tell me which option for figuring basic attributes would be best.

Thank you for any input.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.