nBASIC

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
nBASIC

Post by Sparkfist » Sat May 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Well as this is the closest thing to a programming forum, I figured this is the best place for it.

I've been looking at the possibily of programming the SNES. Sadly that lead to a dead end with Assembly, which I don't want to learn. However I found far number of stuff on the NES. One that caught my eye was nBASIC.

So here's the manual page. I have some knowledge of BASIC (mainly qBASIC). But more to the point you think this is something that I could use to experiment with?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat May 13, 2006 11:20 pm

nBasic sucks, I'd recommend never using it. If you're doing a large nes project I'd suggest NESHLA, but for small things I'd just recommend std. ASM

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun May 14, 2006 8:06 am

So there really is no high-level language you can use for programming one the 8 and 16bit console? I was really hoping I could find something I'm acquanted with and build off that, rather then learn a whole new level of programming.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun May 14, 2006 9:26 am

I heard that Chrono Trigger was coded in C. Good luck finding a C compiler, though.

Programming in assembly requires you to think in more discrete steps, but it just takes practice. A good book to get is The Art of Assembly by Jeff Duntemann. Although it's for the x86 instruction set, the mind training you get is invaluable.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sun May 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Ah, that book is great!
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...