Interest in Starcraft LAN at MGC

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
Interest in Starcraft LAN at MGC

Post by jdmlight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 am

This was originally suggested by metallicamanx (thanks!). I figured I'd try to make it a little more official (so we actually have networking hardware available when we get there).

Please post here if you're going to MGC and are interested in participating in a Starcraft LAN. This will be at the Ramada, primarily in the Benheck suite, but we could probably work something out for people in the Ramada who are not staying in the Benheck suite (I'm bringing my WRT54G, we could set up a private WiFi network for people outside the suite, use wired networking for people in the suite).

I'm looking to get an estimate of how many people would want to play. I'll update this main post with the count as people respond. Also, please include if you have your own laptop and if you happen to have an extra laptop someone else could use.

Responses so far:
  • I'm interested. (jdmlight) - Macbook Pro
  • lifeisbetterwithketchup had mentioned participating. - Netbook
  • squintus had also mentioned participating. - Netbook
  • nightwheel - (bringing a laptop I hope?)
  • metallicamanx - (bringing a laptop I hope?)
Total count: 5 so far.

I'm supplying:
• WRT54G (5 LAN ports and WiFi)
• 8-port 10/100 switch
• As many cables as I can find (at least 5) Edit: I've got 9. (in other words enough to connect one full map of Starcraft using one cable between my WRT54G and my switch)

I could bring my 5-port Gigabit switch if there is enough interest. I may also start making some extra ethernet cables if there is a lot of interest.
Last edited by jdmlight on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

alentris

Re: Interest in Starcraft LAN at MGC

Post by alentris » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:09 am

Ugh, I'd totally be in this, but I'm so close to the location I'm not staying in the hotel! :(

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:28 am

I'll look through all my wires to see if I have a Ethernet cable. And I may have a old Wireless G router I could bring if I can find it.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 am

any possibility in doing it online for the people not there as well? :P

alentris

Post by alentris » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 pm

ghosstt wrote:any possibility in doing it online for the people not there as well? :P
YES! That my friend is an excellent idea. +1 cookie for you :)

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:04 pm

alentris wrote:
ghosstt wrote:any possibility in doing it online for the people not there as well? :P
YES! That my friend is an excellent idea. +1 cookie for you :)
TBH, I'm looking to coordinate a LAN party for just MGC-goers. An online game is certainly a possibility, but you'd have to coordinate it yourself. You're more than welcome to set that up. :D

The main reason I'm looking to do this with mostly LAN is because the hotel's WiFi has limited bandwidth. My guess is that if we were to have a bunch of people playing online games (in addition to the many other hotel guests using the WiFi for other purposes), the game would become quite slow. I was planning on doing this LAN with just ethernet cables (and maybe a few people connected to a WiFi network on my WRT54G - aka NOT using the hotel's wireless) so that we wouldn't have to be worried about speed.

Also, alentris, depending on where our room is compared to the hotel's lounge area, you could probably be in the hotel lounge connected to our network and be playing with us. A possible option.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

alentris

Post by alentris » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 pm

jdmlight wrote:Also, alentris, depending on where our room is compared to the hotel's lounge area, you could probably be in the hotel lounge connected to our network and be playing with us. A possible option.
No, I live like 45 minutes away, and I'm leaving promptly after the afterparty on Saturday. And idk if I'm going Sunday or not...

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm certainly in on a starcraft lan, seeing as how I'm the one who originally suggested it 8)

however, if we go online using battle.net, I won't be able to do anything...unless someone can give me a legit CD key XD to use :lol:
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:I'm certainly in on a starcraft lan, seeing as how I'm the one who originally suggested it 8)
I couldn't remember who suggested it to begin with. I'll put credit in the first post for ya. :) I'm just trying to separate the "gee wouldn't that be nice" from the "yeah I'm in and I have a laptop."
Metallica Man X wrote:however, if we go online using battle.net, I won't be able to do anything...unless someone can give me a legit CD key XD to use :lol:
The real reason I'm not setting up a Starcraft online game. :wink: (although potential bandwidth issues are certainly a possibility if we were all on the hotel's wifi)

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:57 pm

alentris wrote:
jdmlight wrote:Also, alentris, depending on where our room is compared to the hotel's lounge area, you could probably be in the hotel lounge connected to our network and be playing with us. A possible option.
No, I live like 45 minutes away, and I'm leaving promptly after the afterparty on Saturday. And idk if I'm going Sunday or not...
(image is clickable)
Someone would just need to supply a ridiculous 1-2 watt WiFi router.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:59 pm

what's starcraft?

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:10 pm

marshallh wrote:what's starcraft?
Hopefully you're kidding. But in case you weren't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft
It's a 1998 real-time strategy (RTS) game. If you like RTSes, this one is particularly great.

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:10 am

jdmlight wrote:
marshallh wrote:what's starcraft?
Hopefully you're kidding. But in case you weren't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft
It's a 1998 real-time strategy (RTS) game. If you like RTSes, this one is particularly great.
Command & Conquer is better.....

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 am

jdmlight wrote:The real reason I'm not setting up a Starcraft online game. :wink: (although potential bandwidth issues are certainly a possibility if we were all on the hotel's wifi)
I can't imagine a 12 year old game using tons and tons of bandwidth, especially since "online play" back then usually meant 33k modems.
EDIT: A bit of Google-fu tells me Starcraft probably needs about 2k/sec per client.

You could try setting up a VPN with Hamachi.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It creates a second, virtual NIC on your computer. Everyone at the hotel connects to the hotel's WiFi directly, and remote users have their Internet connection. If everyone runs Hamachi and connects to the VPN, it will act like they're all on the same LAN together. I'm 100% certain that method will work.

The potential issue with that is the free version only allows 16 computers on the VPN at the same time. If you need more, there is a trick that might work:

Install Hamachi on one laptop and every remote client, bridge the Hamachi NIC with your wired NIC on the "gateway" laptop, and you'll have a network like this:

Full size behind the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Black = public network
Blue = private network
Red = VPN
I'm not 100% certain if this will work or not, but it's worth a try if you need more than 16 PCs connected.

alentris

Post by alentris » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 am

To tell you the truth its been a long time since I played starcraft, but it would be cool if I was there. Prolly not going to be in the LAN from home.