Interest in Starcraft LAN at MGC

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
Re: Interest in Starcraft LAN at MGC

Post by jdmlight » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 am

alentris wrote:To tell you the truth its been a long time since I played starcraft, but it would be cool if I was there. Prolly not going to be in the LAN from home.
Aww. We're Benheckers, we can certainly figure out a way to make it work if you wanted to. :D

Actually, bicostp, I was thinking of having everyone on a local LAN, with a WRT54G acting as the internet gateway (to the hotel's wifi), then using a VPN of some sort for external players. It's something I've always wanted to try (I've run a number of LAN parties, I'm better at running them than I am at winning :lol: ). That way everyone that's sitting right next to each other get the benefit of the local LAN, and external users can still connect. That way, if something goes wrong with the VPN part, you'd only lose the people playing outside the local LAN.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am

Which is exactly what the second scenario I threw together does. It just uses one of the laptops as the VPN gateway instead of the router. ;) (Is the router running custom firmware to act as a repeater?)

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 am

bicostp wrote:Which is exactly what the second scenario I threw together does. It just uses one of the laptops as the VPN gateway instead of the router. ;) (Is the router running custom firmware to act as a repeater?)
Yup! I love DD-WRT. There are so many added features.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

alentris

Post by alentris » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 am

jdmlight wrote:
alentris wrote:To tell you the truth its been a long time since I played starcraft, but it would be cool if I was there. Prolly not going to be in the LAN from home.
Aww. We're Benheckers, we can certainly figure out a way to make it work if you wanted to. :D

Actually, bicostp, I was thinking of having everyone on a local LAN, with a WRT54G acting as the internet gateway (to the hotel's wifi), then using a VPN of some sort for external players. It's something I've always wanted to try (I've run a number of LAN parties, I'm better at running them than I am at winning :lol: ). That way everyone that's sitting right next to each other get the benefit of the local LAN, and external users can still connect. That way, if something goes wrong with the VPN part, you'd only lose the people playing outside the local LAN.
I'll root around for a disk drive to install it on my netbook :)

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:36 pm

alentris wrote:
jdmlight wrote:

Register an account an your game on battle.net and you can just download it for free.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:49 pm

alentris wrote:
jdmlight wrote:

I have it on a flash drive. I already thought of the netbook users. :wink:

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 pm

I'll probably join in, depending on how late I actually stay at the hotel. :)

alentris

Post by alentris » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:25 pm

jdmlight wrote:
alentris wrote:
jdmlight wrote:

I have it on a flash drive. I already thought of the netbook users. :wink:
K, i'll just install it tomorrow then... (P.S. TOMORROW!!!)

kingpin901

Post by kingpin901 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Could be interesting
Qc, Canadian Buyer :)
Buyer & Seller Feedback Received:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 10#p410310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Did you guys even play? :p

Squintus
Steam ID:tehsquint

Post by Squintus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 am

I blame John for this not happening.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 am

Squintus wrote:I blame John for this not happening.
Hey now, I had everything all ready in case we wanted to play, but we had plenty of other stuffs going that we didn't need a LAN party. I think we maybe could have fit it in if more people had stayed for Sunday.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to get in on Sunday's activities...too bad Brian had to leave (him being our ride).
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato