MGC 2010 HYPE thread

Moderator:Moderators

krafter
Re: MGC 2010 HYPE thread

Post by krafter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm

I am bummed I didn't get back over there on Sunday. I was awoken early because my house was oddly very quiet. I looked at the clock and realized there was no power. Living a techno-addicted life kind of sucks when the power is out.

No lights, no heat, no toaster or Microwave. The internet was up, my AT&T UVerse has battery backup, but my UPS only had about 20 minutes of life left on it so I couldn't really use the net all that much.

Power is back now. I need to come up with a backup power plan. Maybe a generator and some solar panels.

I spent so much time trying to fix the Makerbot on Saturday that I never got up to the dealer room to see if anyone had a Vetrex for sale, that or a Atari 5200 track-ball.

-- Chris

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 am

Just got back to Kentucky, and I'm still not home!

Edit (4:06 am): I'm home now, time to unload my stuff

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 am

Did anyone find a dreamcast a/v cable? It seems I left the one I bought back at MGC

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 am

krafter wrote:I need to come up with a backup power plan. Maybe a generator and some solar panels.
Or a laptop. :wink: I would go for a generator if your power goes out a lot. Solar panels are good for extended use and small loads, but they are expensive. A generator will put out at least 10x as many watts per dollar compared to solar panels.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 am

vskid wrote:
krafter wrote:I need to come up with a backup power plan. Maybe a generator and some solar panels.
Or a laptop. :wink: I would go for a generator if your power goes out a lot. Solar panels are good for extended use and small loads, but they are expensive. A generator will put out at least 10x as many watts per dollar compared to solar panels.
He'd still need a better battery backup for the actual internet modem - even if you have a laptop, the internet doesn't work unless the modem's got power...
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Man, PAX East was so amazing. Oh wait, this topic is for the MGC...
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Black Six wrote:Man, PAX East was so amazing. Oh wait, this topic is for the MGC...
Yea, gtfo :lol:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm

jdmlight wrote:
vskid wrote:
He'd still need a better battery backup for the actual internet modem - even if you have a laptop, the internet doesn't work unless the modem's got power...
krafter wrote:The internet was up, my AT&T UVerse has battery backup
:wink: I assume the backup would last a few hours, I think thats about how long my Comcast modem/cable/VOIP is supposed to last (and it even has a slot for another battery).

krafter

Post by krafter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:57 pm

vskid wrote:
jdmlight wrote:
vskid wrote:
krafter wrote:The internet was up, my AT&T UVerse has battery backup
:wink: I assume the backup would last a few hours, I think thats about how long my Comcast modem/cable/VOIP is supposed to last (and it even has a slot for another battery).
When I said battery backup I actually meant that UVerse puts batteries in the boxes down the street, so even if the power goes out they can still get service to the houses in the area.

I have UPS's on my UVerse gateway and also on my main computer. I do have a laptop, but even a laptop will need power at some point.

I am sure I will get a generator. The solar panels are mostly just for experimenting. I have 60 watts of panels already but I want to add some more.

-- Chris

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:27 am

Black Six wrote:Man, PAX East was so amazing. Oh wait, this topic is for the MGC...
Why didn't you tell me you were going? D: Did you get a chance to hit the arcade they set up?

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 am

This year MGC was even better then last year. The layout at the new conference center needs some serious tweaking but it was otherwise pretty good. The Vendors looked a bit cramped but there selection was better then last year.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Rekarp wrote:This year MGC was even better then last year. The layout at the new conference center needs some serious tweaking but it was otherwise pretty good. The Vendors looked a bit cramped but there selection was better then last year.
+1, it was a bit confusing to find your way around lol

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Is mgc at the same hotel every year?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:17 pm

They occasionally change it depending on how things grow (it used to be at a high school cafeteria when it first started). I'd expect it to be at the Sheraton or Olympia (where it was 2 years ago) next year. The forum gathering suite(s) has always been at the Ramada, just because it's a good deal and decent location (MUCH better now that they relocated)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm kind of hoping they move it back to the Olympia next year. The different areas were spread out all over the hotel, but the areas themselves were quite cramped. The vendor hall was especially cramped with the pinball area ranking a close second.