Replacing the Nomad screen

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Replacing the Nomad screen

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Tired of that pathetic Nomad screen? Wish you had a nice new Lcd in there? Well now you can.

Youtube video added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCZ4oPixQwU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First things first. Get rid of the old Lcd.
Open up the Nomad. You will need a security bit for the bottom/middle screw. After you open the Nomad , pull the circuit board up and you will see the Lcd. Pull it of and then pull of the lcd cable attached to the main board.

Now you just ruined your Nomad. Just kidding :)

Here is the new Lcd we will be using :
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is $50 shipped.

When we take it apart it will look like this :

Now what you want to do is get out your hot glue gun and glue the new Lcd into place. Make sure you get it centered. be aware the Lcd hole on the Nomad is slightly slanted so the Lcd will be slightly slanted when mounted.

Now it's time to solder the wires necessary to power the screen and get video to it.
You will be soldering 4 wires. 2 grounds, power, and video. the 2 ground wires go to the same spot on the Lcd's board.

Here is where the wires will be soldered to the Nomad's board :

And some closeups :

After it is wired you will want to mount the Lcd's board on top of the Lcd. I put a small piece of paper between them to protect against shorts. You can then hot glue the 4 corners to hold it in place. :

Now put the Nomad back together. Make sure the wires are crimped anywhere, or in the way of the buttons.

Plug it in and see the new Lcd in all it's glory.

Just wanted to post a pic of what the screen normally looks like with the regular Nomad screen:
(not my pic)

My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance