Gamecube Wiring Guide

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Harshboy
Portablizer
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 pm

Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Harshboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 pm

I was bored. If anything is wrong, Tell me.

Image
Last edited by Harshboy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Skyone
Moderator
Posts: 6390
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: it is a mystery
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Skyone » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:57 am

Not wrong, just inefficient. :lol:

User avatar
64M320N3
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: Ft. Collins

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:27 am

Very nice, but as Skyone pointed out the 7808 sucks...
power, that is.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Harshboy
Portablizer
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 pm

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Harshboy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 pm

64M320N3 wrote:Very nice, but as Skyone pointed out the 7808 sucks...
power, that is.
Is there a way to power a rev c. Gamecube on 7.4 volts?

User avatar
Skyone
Moderator
Posts: 6390
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: it is a mystery
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Skyone » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:47 pm

I was mostly referring to the 7808, though I'm pretty sure you can replace the on-board power regulator with a custom one.

Harshboy
Portablizer
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 pm

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Harshboy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Skyone wrote:I was mostly referring to the 7808, though I'm pretty sure you can replace the on-board power regulator with a custom one.
Ah, Well what would be a good replacement to the 7808? I will upgrade the diagram to be more efficient.

User avatar
Skyone
Moderator
Posts: 6390
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:35 pm
Location: it is a mystery
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Skyone » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:03 am

Any switching regulator, TI probably has some with samples available.

User avatar
kasar
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by kasar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 am

hehe, this is a good example why the world can become more interesting when ppl got bored :D

no reset buttom love? : (

nah,seriusly good job ;)

Harshboy
Portablizer
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 pm

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Harshboy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:52 am

kasar wrote:hehe, this is a good example why the world can become more interesting when ppl got bored :D

no reset buttom love? : (

nah,seriusly good job ;)
I honestly never saw a point to the reset button, I have never used it once :P

I updated the Guide last night for more detail, I think it's the final version. Anyone who doesn't have a Rev. C Gamecube can still figure out what to do because they will just input 12V to the power board, or input 1.9V, 3.3V, and 5V into the Gamecube Motherboard.

User avatar
mako321
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 am

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by mako321 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:11 am

and what happened to the rest of the controller posts :shock: :? ? I mean, what about those games on every console that flash HIDEO on screen and then you switch to the next controller port so your mind isn't read?

User avatar
kasar
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by kasar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:32 am

mako321 wrote:and what happened to the rest of the controller posts :shock: :? ? I mean, what about those games on every console that flash HIDEO on screen and then you switch to the next controller port so your mind isn't read?
metal gear twin snakes!!! :D

btw, making all those stuff just for 1 game, may not be really a good point.

but adding external controller ports will be nice.

I made a pic wich has been included in my guide a few time ago, may be usefull for that.

every controller uses the same wiring settings, except one pin, you can get more info about each player pin here.

image
Last edited by kasar on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gamerlolwind51649
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Harshboy wrote:I was bored. If anything is wrong, Tell me.

Image
will this wring setup work for Rev A motherboards?
Image

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
kasar
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by kasar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Gamerlolwind51649 wrote: will this wring setup work for Rev A motherboards?
It should works for all gamecube rev since it use the analog port , also all gamecube mobos have the ribbon connector to connect the controllers port circuit.

the only gamecube may not work with this is the panasonic Q (I wasnt lucky enough to own one of them and check the hardware :lol: )

Image

about the rev A gamecubes , dont worry about the digital connector, just check the analog output connector :)

User avatar
Gamerlolwind51649
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Gamerlolwind51649 wrote:
Harshboy wrote:I was bored. If anything is wrong, Tell me.

Image
will this wring setup work for Rev A motherboards?
kasar wrote:
Gamerlolwind51649 wrote: will this wring setup work for Rev A motherboards?
It should works for all gamecube rev since it use the analog port , also all gamecube mobos have the ribbon connector to connect the controllers port circuit.

the only gamecube may not work with this is the panasonic Q (I wasnt lucky enough to own one of them and check the hardware :lol: )

Thanx for the info, kasar :), but, on the diagram, the pcb with the pot adjustment thing, is that a 7.5v fixed regulator?
cause im going to use a 14.8v battery, and i have to regulate the 14.8v to 7.5v for the psone screen. do i need that regulator thing in harshboy's diagram?

also the two wires from the power regulator that are attached to the battery are they the postive (red) and negitive (black) connetor that rev A/B have?
Image

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
kasar
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Gamecube Wiring Guide

Post by kasar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Gamerlolwind51649 wrote:Thanx for the info, kasar :), but, on the diagram, the pcb with the pot adjustment thing, is that a 7.5v fixed regulator?
cause im going to use a 14.8v battery, and i have to regulate the 14.8v to 7.5v for the psone screen. do i need that regulator thing in harshboy's diagram?

also the two wires from the power regulator that are attached to the battery are they the postive (red) and negitive (black) connetor that rev A/B have?
:)

oh, you was talking about the power part, well, it still compatible, just check at the picture you posted, there are two wires wich come from the battery directly to the gamecube REV C board showed at the pic, so if you use a rev A or B gamecube, you will need to wire the battery to the regulator board, and then wire the regulator board to the gamecube.

yes, I know rev C boards are usually better for portabilizing cause you dont need to care about to the regulator board part, anyway if you wire it nice and you slim a bit the regulator board and the main MOBO everything will work fine :)


about how to wire the regulator board to the GC, I think this picture is all you need :)

http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=84&file=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you got a poor and distorsionated image after wire the regulatorboard to the mobo, try adding some extra ground wires from the regulator board to the mobo.

and finally connect the two wires from the 14.8v battery to the regulator board input (check at least twice the polarity is correct before power it on! :) )


and yes, that pcb at Harshboy's diagram regulates 12v to 8 v (yep, 8 volts can work fine with the 7.5 input voltage the ps1 screen need :=) )

Post Reply