Extending the PsOne Optical Drive FFC Cable

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Extending the PsOne Optical Drive FFC Cable

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:56 pm

So you have your PsOne and you want to build a portable. And you need to move the optical drive to a better spot. But your solder skills aren't that great. What do you do? Re-locate it the easy way.

Items needed from http://www.digikey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :

1. WM10057-ND .... 6" 16 pin ffc
2. 609-1907-1-ND .. 16 pin zif connector
Total cost around $7.50 shipped

The way this works is by extending the ffc (Flat Flexible Cable).

Open the little brown clamp on the zif connector from Digikey. They are pull out slide lock connectors. Be carefull you do want to pull it out to far and break it.

Put the cable you want to extend, and the cable that you bought, face to face so that the silver contacts are touching. Make sure that they are aligned together perfectly, edge to edge , equal length:

Put both cables in the zif and clamp the zif clamp back down. (It may be a little
hard to get them both in there but you can do it. Make sure they are perfectly aligned.)

Plug the newly extended cable into the zif on the circuit board. Mind the orientation of the cable (pins); it should be the same as the original cable.

Now notice how much room you have to move the optical drive around :

Now after once again checking to make sure the ffc is aligned properly, plug the unit back in and test it. If the ffc isn't aligned you of course will have problems like the optical drive not starting the game or the PsOne not starting up. Simply turn off the Psone and then realign the ffc and insert it in the zif socket again. Mine worked the first time because the way the sockets and ffc's are designed it's nearly impossible to get them in NOT aligned properly. There's just not enough room.

Once you make sure everything is working properly, hot glue the ffc and zif socket extension you made to keep it from pulling loose or shorting out. I also electrical tape mine after hot gluing it for added security.

Well that is all, hope this helps all PsOne Portable makers in the future :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance