How to paint using aerosol - LOTS OF PICS

Moderator:Moderators

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer
How to paint using aerosol - LOTS OF PICS

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 am

I will be referring to the object that is being painted as ‘the case’.

After noticing several people who had trouble painting using aerosol’s (spray paint) I decided to put together this tutorial. (I was also asked)

Please note: The painting process is quite time consuming, leave at least 6+ hours

First of all, here are some tips:
1. Avoid painting in open-air areas (this means try to avoid painting outside)

2. If you absolutely must paint outside, NEVER paint on windy days. You don’t want sticks, leaves, dirt or dust on your freshly painted case, do you?

3. Before every painting session (even if it is 20 minuets apart) test your spray can nozzle. I.e. test on s bit of cardboard/junk plastic etc.

4. ALWAYS paint in ventilated areas! This means don’t hide in the wardrobe to get funky with the fumes.

5. Relating to #4, a particle/fume/gas mask is a good thing to use if you have one.

6. Hold the can about 20cm from the object your painting. It usually says this on the can.

Tools/Equipment:
<>The object you want to paint
<>Spray paint / paint gun
<>Sandpaper, I recommend high grit. (In this tutorial I use ~600 and 1000)
<>Paper towels (not fabric, they will get dirty)
<>Water
<>Drop sheet

Optional:
<>Gas/particle mask
<>Clear coat – NOTE: You don’t really need it if you’re using gloss paint
<>Primer (this can be any type of primer, from spray on primer to a primer based filler)
<>Higher grit sandpaper (1500+)
<>Fan, it can be a pedestal or desk fan – NOTE: This is only needed if the area you are painting in is a central/common area

Setting up your painting area

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A DESIGNATED AREA, SKIP THIS!

You want to pick a location, indoors preferably, that will have little draft and good ventilation. I personally use a bathroom that never got finished, it has an exhaust fan, heat lamps and it doesn’t really matter if it gets dirty.

As listed in the tools/equipment list, get your drop sheet (or lay down a Xbox huge amount of newspaper); this is to protect the floor from overspray. Also listed under ‘optional’ is a fan, if you are using an area central to your house/living space you will want to direct it towards an open window/door (make sure a screen door is closed), this is to help with ventilation.

Painting

Gather these items:
<>Spray paint
<>The object you want to paint
<>Sandpaper
<>Paper towels
<>Water (just fill a small glass or bowl) – not shown
As you can see, I have taped off sections of the casing, if you want to do this, do it before you start

Get the piece(s) you want to paint and give all the areas you want painted a medium sand, this is just to remove all/any dirt or oils.

Wet some paper towel and give the case a wipe, this is to remove the recently sanded dust/particles

IMPORTANT: Let the case dry naturally!

After the case has dried, get your can of spray paint and test/clean the nozzle. This is to prevent drips and/or spitting.
If you are having trouble getting it to spray evenly, try a different cap!

Give the case a LIGHT going over; please note how crappy it looks. This WILL change!
DON’T TRY AND MAKE IT LOOK PERFECT NOW!!!

Let is dry for about an hour

If you rotate the case 180˚, you will see that there are areas that you have missed. This is a good thing!
Now, give these areas the same LIGHT spray as before.

Again, let it dry for about an hour.

It should look something like the image above.

Get your sand paper and give the entire case a LIGHT sand, this is to remove any rough patches.

Wet another paper towel and give the case a QUICK wipe, if you spend too much time it will start to break down the paint.

LET THE CASE DRY NATURALLY!!!

Give another LIGHT coat; again, it will still look crappy. DON’T WORRY IT WILL CHANGE!!!

After leaving the case to dry for about an hour, rub your hand over the case; if you think it is too rough repeat steps 7 and 8.

Give the case another LIGHT coat of paint; it should start to look decent now.

Leave the case to dry for about 1 hour!

After the case has dried, look it over. You may find small imperfections where your paint has not reached. Whilst holding the case, paint these spots. You can rotate the case whilst you’re doing this.

Let the paint dry for an hour.

Give the case another coat of paint. Yet again, leave it to dry for 1 hour.

If needed, rotate and respray. Leave it to dry for an hour.

Get you finest sandpaper and LIGHTLY sand the entire case, be wary of the edges.

Dampen another paper towel and quickly wipe the case down.

LET IT DRY NATURALLY!!!

Remove (if any) tape. Its done!

If at any point past step 11-12 you think the case is too rough, repeat steps 7 & 8.

Using the same process, i have painted the rest of the console (along with a little hardware modding):
^The console is NOT finished yet, i still have to install perspex and cut a dvd window.
The xbox jewel has been painted black using gloss paint, to match the black of the case.

ANY QUESTIONS AND/OR FEEDBACK CAN BE POSTED AS A REPLY.
THANKS
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Muniosi

Re: How to paint using aerosol - LOTS OF PICS

Post by Muniosi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm a newbie at painting, so please bear with me. Two questions: When you say "let it dry naturally," how will I know when it's dry? And exactly HOW ventilated is "well ventilated?"

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:40 am

I PM'd you :wink:
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:43 am

NICE mod man...