The definitive 3.5" Lcd review

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterful
Re: The definitive 3.5" Lcd review

Post by gamemasterful » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

ABCinc wrote:Whats is the Amperage rating on your power source? I think that's the same dealer i got mine from and it runs on 5V just fine.
+5V and 2.5A. I've also tried batteries (4AA rechargeable) and a psone adapter, since the page says it's rated for 12V. Both adapters are DC and I did check to see which part of the adapters was ground.

The AMS117 chip receives the 5 volts just fine and outputs the 3.3 volts that it is supposed to. So whatever problem there is, it's past that part. Maybe I just got a dud.

Edit: NVM. I dunno why it's working now but it is. Second video channel doesn't work but it's not like I really NEED two. Hooked it up to some batteries one last time and put my ear close (random) to see if I could hear that electronic 'whine' and I could... so then I connected my psone to it and bam, menu screen. I think maybe the thin ribbon cable inside was a little loose, as I had played with it previously to see if it was a bad connection, but before it didn't work. There are three spots on the side for switches, I'll see what those do later.

Edit2: Video only works if it comes on roughly at the same time the screen does, which was probably my problem before. If I turn on the screen, wait, then plug in the yellow, nothing. No blue screen to search for the video.
Also getting some interference, probably from the power line being so close to the composite without shielding. And blues have some vertical lines in them. So wave race 64 looks horrible.

Rumpleskin

Post by Rumpleskin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 pm

First of all, hi to all I'm new here!
I've found this thread really interesting cause I'm going to start my first project, and I'm a little scared to buy the wrong screens.
What I'd like to know is, if all those screens has a good resolution for in-game text (or which one is the best) cause I use to play to rpgs and readable text, as you know, is a must.
I've read all the replies but I couldn't get this information.
Thanks in advance.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Rumpleskin wrote:First of all, hi to all I'm new here!
I've found this thread really interesting cause I'm going to start my first project, and I'm a little scared to buy the wrong screens.
What I'd like to know is, if all those screens has a good resolution for in-game text (or which one is the best) cause I use to play to rpgs and readable text, as you know, is a must.
I've read all the replies but I couldn't get this information.
Thanks in advance.
They are basically all the same resolution so the text will look the same on all of them.

Text will be a little small and slightly blurry but it is readable.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Rumpleskin

Post by Rumpleskin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks a lot hailrazer for your quick answer! I think I'm gonna buy the second one!

TioEmo

Post by TioEmo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm

A word of advice: I bought this screen, wich I thought was #2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0627057247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it seems to be quite different.

First, and most important, it DOES NOT run on anything below 6V. Screen goes white. So, using the usual 4xAA batteries won't do the trick, in my humble experience at least.

Now I'm stuck in the middle of a GB-NOAC project, trying to fit a fifth AA battery somewhere inside the case :(

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:32 pm

It should be assumed that any 3.5" screen you buy from Ebay will be different from all the ones I tested.

The Chinese clone each other like crazy with the cases, then they put the cheapest lcd/board in that they can.

Some will have adjustments. Some won't.
Some will run as low as 4.5v. Some won't.
Some will work with the N64/Nomad etc, some won't.

Buy at your own risk.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

TioEmo

Post by TioEmo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Don't misunderstand me, hailrazer. All I wanted was to warn future buyers so they knew what they were buying nowadays.

Your review was of great help, and I will fix my problem with this screen one way or another.

ABCinc

Post by ABCinc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 am

I'm terribly sorry to bump this thread, but i have recently bought one of these screens; and i have to say, that these screens are VERY different (but a little bit cheaper). They seem to be the exactly the same, although they are not. The insides are very different, they also have very many brightness/contrast/picture settings that can be changed. they will also not run on anything lower than 8V (as far as i can tell), so i wanted to make this clear for anyone buying any of these screens :)
^ *Information above may be incorrect.* ^
^ *This signature may be incorrect.* ^