hailrazer's anti-glare mod guide

Moderator:Moderators

Basement_Modder
Portablizer
hailrazer's anti-glare mod guide

Post by Basement_Modder » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 pm

This is a very good guide, but the original thread is long gone. Since nobody else did, I posted it here.
hailrazer wrote:Some of you may know this already but I thought I'd pass this on to any who might like to know.

If you're like me sometimes while working on the Psone screen you might scratch it up or smudge it a bit. Also you might notice that it's a bit murky looking. Like this :

Well on the top of the Lcd is a Antiglare layer. It is a protective layer that is on top of the Lcd that also serves the purpose of reducing glare. But it has the side effect of muting colors and reducing brightness. The solution. TAKE IT OFF !!

The easiest way to do this is called the "Water Soak" method.

Here's what you do. Starting with the Ps1 screen stripped down to this:

1. Remove the metal bracket holding the Lcd to the backlight. Ben has a tutorial on this already so I'll spare you the details. (Note : This can be done without removing the metal bracket, it just will take more effort later)

2. Remove the Lcd from the backlight (by just lifting it off) and set it on a towel or similar surface. The pic shows leaving it on the backlight but I have changed this. If you take the Lcd off the backlight then you don't have to wait as long to allow the backlight to dry after performing the mod.

3. Take a couple of paper towels and layer them in 3-4 layers. Cut the paper towels where they cover the LCD precisely and lay them on the Lcd.

4. Wet the paper towels by dripping water on them slowly. You want enough water on them for the paper towels to be soaked, but not so much that the water is dripping over the edges into the backlight. The paper towels can hang over the top edge but DO NOT let them hang over the bottom edge. You don't want the ffc's getting wet for a long time. Also try to get most of the bubbles smoothed out of the paper towels. You want the wet paper towels to make a good contact with the Lcd.

5. Leave paper towels soaking for 4 hours. I repeat 4 hours. Do not soak for less than 4 hours. You want the antiglare to come up in one piece without any sticking or glue residue so it is imperative you wait for 4 hours.

6. Remove paper towels.

7. On top of the Lcd you will notice a thin layer that is covering it. This is the polarizer/Antiglare layer. The polarizer is on top of the Lcd and it is the thicker layer with a tinted look. the antiglare layer is on top of it. It is paper thin and is clear/slightly cloudy. We are going to use the razor and pick at the edge of this dual layer. The antiglare layer will be very thin and will look like a piece of clear but slightly cloudy saran wrap. It will peel off very easily. If the piece you are pulling up is tinted and stiff STOP, you are pulling up the polarizer layer and this will render the screen useless. Once you get the edge of the antiglare up , pull it off slowly in one motion. After the antiglare is removed you can wipe off the excess water with a lint free cloth like an eyeglass cleaning cloth.

This is what the removed Antiglare looks like :

8. After removing the antiglare there is nothing else to do but make sure the Lcd is totally dry and water free , remember water+electronics=BAD. Re-assemble and reconnect the panel after it is dry and enjoy a scratch-free screen with better brightness and colors.

And here's a pic of before and after. It's hard to tell the differences when not holding it in your hands. But there is less of a dull look , colors are more vibrant, and better focus.

Also like I said if you accidentally scratch or scuff your screen , this mod will fix that :)
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: hailrazer's anti-glare mod guide

Post by bacteria » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:40 pm

I did this mod for my current project, the result is a screen that does have better colours, the image doesn't appear so pixilated and the image is slightly brighter. The mod is really easy to do to. Thumbs up!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:52 pm

a bit of advice: after this, there is NO way to remove scratches, and you have to have a quick, single swooping motion or else it will leave marks. And since it becomes reflective more, its easier to see any scratches.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:a bit of advice: after this, there is NO way to remove scratches, and you have to have a quick, single swooping motion or else it will leave marks. And since it becomes reflective more, its easier to see any scratches.

SS
Plus it makes playing outside nearly impossible due to the sunlight and because it is so damn reflective.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Rixer 1337

Post by Rixer 1337 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:37 pm

I was wondering if I could do this to a 17" computer monitor. I might try it just for the hell of it because I don't even use the screen.
CHECK OUT MY STORE:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30397
I AM SELLING A NINTENDO DS, INTEC GAME GEAR SCREEN AND MANY OTHER ITEMS. COME CHECK IT OUT!

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Almost all LCD screens have this, so yes you can.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Except that most large screens use a rigid AR layer, or one built into the polarizer. ;) I would suggest not ruining your 17".

Excellent

simon66

Post by simon66 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:35 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:a bit of advice: after this, there is NO way to remove scratches, and you have to have a quick, single swooping motion or else it will leave marks. And since it becomes reflective more, its easier to see any scratches.

SS
also does it leave finger prints?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Only if you touch it with your fingers. ;)

Excellent