Reference Standard Sprites

All our accumulated knowledge of console hacking, gathered in one forum for easy access!

The "Submissions" system has been done away with. YOU CAN NOW MAKE THREADS IN EVERY SUBFORUM IN HERE, so get in there and help out!

Moderator:Moderators

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361
Re: Reference Standard Sprites

Post by Tibia » Fri May 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Could we just link to those hi-res scans of the N64 board? It'd keep the sprite nice and clean, but still have the traces handy.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=17268&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: And Spinout's version without components: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 13#p312513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

daftmike

Post by daftmike » Fri May 08, 2009 12:27 pm

I made a rough pinout of the cart slot in this post

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 pm

Thanks DaftMike, I'll go straight from those. Very helpful.

Tibia: I'm going to see if I can get a cleaner scan, I've used those a ridiculous amount, and want to see if I can do better.

Marshallh: There. :lol:
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:22 pm

As far as I could tell, the inch scale at the sides was grossly out of scale, so I created a new one based on the PDIP's (Which gives 80 pixels = 1 inch) I adjusted the lead ppitch slightly for the TO package (7805) and the 3mm LEDs. I increased the diameter of the 5mm LEDs by a couple pixels. I also fixed the shape of the ugly 8 numeral for the IC text.
Other components are untouched.

With grid:

Transparent BG:

I also split up the components in to different Photoshop layers, and I can provide the file on request.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sat May 09, 2009 4:40 pm

actually, the 8 was like that so it's easy to tell if it's upside down, if I'm not mistaken. The 6 and 9 are different also, but it makes it easier if all of the numerals have a definite orientation.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 am

Can you edit those components to remove the text? Actually, I'll do it.

EDIT: Here we go. I added a silicon diode. This is based on the transparent BG one, but thanks to paint the BG is no longer transparent.

EDIT: I was going to edit Bac's PTH08080 but it is simply too artifacted and blurred to be used. Perhaps it can be used as a pattern?

http://www.modded-by-bacteria.com/index ... _regulator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 am

I was working on making a sprite-sheet rendering of the Atari 2600 4-switch board, but probably won't finish it. I fsomeone else wants to finish it up, here you go:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8273/atariboard.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Big picture warning)

So far I've done all the major components in the 4" square, all the resistors are accurate, and drawn up some additional components like a top-down view capacitor, the big trimmer pot, A/V jacks (composite, component, and audio), the cartridge slot, and a transistor. This was all done from other diagrams and photos, since all my 2600s are 6-switch models. There are also a couple 'solder joint' bits, to clean up the ends of the resistors.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the parts are approximately the right size. (Legibility > perfect scale accuracy)

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 15, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm on a roll. Catagorized components sheet. Credits go to people other than me.

EDIT: I accidentally put the electrolytic caps (vertical) in the resistors section. It will be fixed shortlyly.
Last edited by XCVG on Fri May 15, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Fri May 15, 2009 12:35 pm

XCVG wrote:I'm on a roll. Catagorized components sheet. Credits go to people other than me.

I'm digging the "thumbnail" look. :lol:
Last edited by jjhammerstein on Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:
XCVG wrote:I'm on a roll. Catagorized components sheet. Credits go to people other than me.

I'm digging the "thumbnail" look. :LOL:
Click on it, it's a link. :roll:

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm

I was on my iPhone, sorry. :P

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri May 15, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm REALLY on a roll today. Added a few new sprites, modded and cleaned up some others. More importantly, I've normalized all the components to a smallish palette. As in I have merged colours that are almost but not quite the same. Therefore the LEDs now use the same colours as the resistors, all ICs and semiconductors use the same three shades of gray, etc. Probably going to get rid of/recolour the dark orange cap in the near future. Using a smallish palette make things easier and more professional looking.

I've put the palette in the lower right corner. Most of the colours are in a set of three (sometimes in a larger set, I'll fix it in V3). The middle is used for the fill colour. The light and dark colours are for shading. Try to use these colours if possible, if not use what you can and add in the rest.

Also, I've added a WIP section. Some of my WIP parts are in there, you can finish them if you want. The thing on the left is an RCA jack, sideways PCB mount and the square is an S-video jack, front and top views.

I might remove the cartridge slot. It depends on how much an issue space becomes.

Oh yeah, I did the editing in MS Paint. Could have used GIMP, but for something this simple Paint is way easier and quicker.

OP- Can you put this in the first post? It's by far the most complete collection of parts so far.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 pm

As soon as my power comes back. :D

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 pm

Version 3- Now with revised palette. As stated before, try to use it, and if you add some put the colours in the SPECIAL section. If you make a component separately please include a palette so I can integrate it. Anyway the palette is divided into sections.

Colours: For a splash of colour. Each set has a dark, normal, light and very light version. The normal is second from the left. Use the normal for general shading.
Standard: Regular old component colours. Dark, normal, light, see above. The very bottom gray is for leads and metal.
Label: Labeling colours. The blue is for electrolytic capacitors.
Special: Special colours for special components where I just couldn't sub in a standard colour. Avoid if possible. If you add a component with a special colour put the special colour in here.

There is also a "quick palette" in most of the sections.

Credits go to me, Rekarp, and two others that I forgot. The OP should know.

OP- This is the latest revision. Please add or link to these palette instructions.

EDIT: I've got a small SMT sheet on the way. As soon as I get around to uploading it...

XCVG

SMT Sheet

Post by XCVG » Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Here's the SMT Sheet. Made from the N64 board, but it all had to be recoloured because it didn't match the palette. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MUCH YOU SHOULD STICK TO STANDARD COLOURS! It's really a pain to have 40 different grays that are almost but not quite the same. In any case, here's you SMT pack.