About This Forum

All our accumulated knowledge of console hacking, gathered in one forum for easy access!

The "Submissions" system has been done away with. YOU CAN NOW MAKE THREADS IN EVERY SUBFORUM IN HERE, so get in there and help out!

Moderator:Moderators

timmeh87
Re: About This Forum

Post by timmeh87 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm

*facepalm*

This is why we cant have new forums.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Triton wrote:
Bacteria wrote:For example, I have posted pinouts for some boards (eg a correct pinout for the PSone controller as Ben's in his book is incorrect), and worked some bits out on the TurboGrafx, and other work (including many pics); so if anyone is going to post it here it is only right it is me, not a moderator or admin; in fact, I would take exception. It is good to have a "definitive" section for works to be posted to help others, but the originator must post it, take the credit and have their sig shown against the work. if you dont want your work cross posted thats fine, we just wont use any of your images or information
Actually, you can use his pinouts and diagrams as much as you want. A pinout of a PSone controller he redid isn't his, it's Sony's. He can take the drawings away, but he's basically screwed if he wants to try and claim the information. The discovery will be credited to him should he wish it, but he doesn't own it, so it isn't his to keep from you.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

timmeh87 wrote:*facepalm*

This is why we cant have new forums.
:lol:

WIP

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 06, 2009 5:18 pm

!
Cool!
Want some help? I love sprite work.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed May 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Like anything in this forum, users can contribute! :lol: Please do help, if you want. We could probably use some nice fuses, inductors, pots, switches, other IC form factors, etc. Seriously, anything that you want to do is great. We'll all work alongside each other to achieve uniformity. Post what you have here when you make progress.

Thank you!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 pm

bacteria wrote:1) If you want this to eventually be definitive (as you put it), then you need to cover more systems than listed. There were a stream of other consoles brought out that deserve modding, and can be modded.
[...]

I have mentioned this before and now there is an opportunity for suitable sections; however the request looks like it is still being ignored - so this can hardly be "definitive" - it's like saying a definitive movie collection of very movie ever made; um, except for anything pre 2000 and only from the USA ... and has to feature Tom Hanks (it's either definitive or it ain't)!
That's what the "Miscellaneous" area is for. There isn't a reason to make individual forums for consoles with little mainstream following, because the modding community is an even smaller subset of the niche group that still remember (and care about) them, so naturally there's less information out there.
While i'm at it, there should also be a section on batteries, types, good brands; good protection circuits to use with Li-po's etc; which ones work to their claimed values and which ones don't, etc.
Done.
2) Not right that only mods and admins can make new threads or run them unless they have done the work entirely by themselves originally (eg their portable, etc). Obviously, if a member has gone then that is different, but their sigs should still be shown and credit given.
That's not the intention. You guys would make the guides in the appropriate console forum (or in a "submissions" forum here, we'll have to try both and see what works better), then if enough people think it's a well-written, useful guide, it would be moved in here. Disabling new thread creation for registered users at large is meant to keep new people from filling the reference forum up with "how do i sodder screen to nin10doh" question threads like they do with the stickies.

This isn't a dictatorship, where only mods and admins are allowed to post and they're allowed to steal your guides. We just don't want to be constantly moving "how am xbox lappy formed?" threads to the main forum, that's all.
bacteria wrote:You just proved my point, thanks. Only mods to make the topics and decide how they look and the contents (so people who actually did the work can't add their credits to it or input); and "after it's all started up, there should be no need to create many threads, anyway" - this is Big Brother not a discussion forum - "I decide what goes in and I post what I want, and when it is complete; because I say so" seems the flavour of this; bitter taste in the mouth guys, isn't it? Doomed to fail, or to lose members; congratulations, nice move.
Before you run your mouth off again, please re-read the original post, specifically this line:
I wrote:Instead, you can make threads in the appropriate "outside" forum, and then they can be voted upon and moved into the corresponding Reference forum.
That is, YOU write an article, YOUR PEERS give feedback about it, and if YOUR PEERS think it's a great article, then we MOVE YOUR THREAD in here. Please explain to me how, exactly, this is the mods "stealing your work"? Please don't assume the worst and run around screaming "Big Brother's taking control of everything I write!!". You've been here long enough to know we wouldn't do that.

Besides, I KNOW you are able to create new threads in the root of the Reference forum (this one) and now you can in the new Reference forum. (Phpbb 3 lets admins test users' permissions. You can't tell me it doesn't work, because it does.)
Any posts submitted will need to be restricted to diagrams, pinouts or similar; and brief, to the point; no worklogs, etc.
Duh. ImageThis is the REFERENCE forum. Not the "ask questions and post build pics" forum. What do you want, a completely redundant mini-forum inside the forum? :lol: (Yo dawg I heard you like forums so I put a forum in your forum so you can post while you post.) This is here to consolidate all the guides, pinouts, diagrams, how-tos, and datasheets we regularly use.
Kurt_ wrote:I suggest you allow all Portablizer Extraordinaires and above to create topics and posts, not everyone. Questions can be asked elsewhere, this is more of a collection of knowledge without the need to filter through hundreds of questions.
We'll see how things play out, but if we go with a "Submissions" section in here, making Portablizers mods in the Reference forum to help sort submissions.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Sure thing!

Preferred scale? Color palette?
What font is that?

Should we make a list of parts and then split it?

Should I just PM you? :lol:

Taiben

Post by Taiben » Wed May 06, 2009 7:15 pm

I guess I dont see any problem with only mods/admins moving or starting threads. I like the idea of evryone posting theyre stuff in the submision section and mods moving it. Trolls and spammers cant mess it up and we dont have hundreds of crap threads that dont need to be their.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 06, 2009 7:17 pm

I'm fine with it.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed May 06, 2009 7:48 pm

me too. It would be nice to see a forum without a bunch of noob questions.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:57 pm

Oh and about the failure of the wiki...
I firmly believe that a wiki is a better way of storing reference documentation (especially when using linking and categories/article series macros correctly) and from that point of view it's a shame it got nuked. But why did it fail? I think it was because it lacked integration with the forums. Here are two (+1) suggestions that I believe would have increased the popularity of the wiki:
  1. Visibility. Eg, a link in the forum menu, next to search, login/out, PM, etc. Or a link that looks like a forum section. But I don't recall seeing any links that would suggest integration with the forums. I don't remember whether there were any links to the wiki on the front page, but that's actually less relevant. The majority of users who would use the wiki are forum users. (Or more specifically, the majority of users who might find relevant information in the wiki would otherwise turn to the forums, not the front page)
  2. Integration. There are stock plugins for MediaWiki that lets the user roam between phpBB and the wiki. Combine that with disabling anonymous editing and you get rid of the spam and provide a consistent user experience.
  3. I said two suggestions, but I also have a third one which is not a technical suggestion. Ask on the forums if there are users who'd like to volunteer as "wiki supervisors". These people will add info to the wiki when needed, and make sure that everything is neatly categorized. I'm sure there are at least a handful of people who would be willing to volunteer.
With these changes, I think the wiki could be a success. If I was in charge I'd reopen the wiki and do it right this time. Sadly, I don't see this happening.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed May 06, 2009 9:03 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:Sure thing!

Preferred scale? Color palette?
What font is that?

Should we make a list of parts and then split it?

Should I just PM you? :lol:
The scale is shown in the image I provided, but I don't think it's too accurate - kinda just eyed everything after the TO-220. :P There's no specific color palette, but you can use the existing colors if two parts share the same tint. Just post whatever you get done here or PM me if that works for you. I won't make anymore until you do (mostly due to laziness). :P

Thanks again.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 pm

Someone should write a schematic editor that uses those big colorful icons instead of schematic symbols.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Added square chips, LEDs, SMD caps/resistors, a very poorly rendered diode, and oscillators.

I kinda threw scale out the window too, but legibility is more important anyway. (Well, unless we wind up with resistors the size of cats... :lol:) The SMD parts are as small as possible while still being easy to read.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 pm

I have a question about making a reference tutorial thingy(and this is what I want to do): Can I just post a topic with a video tutorial link in it?

What I want to do is make a topic that says: How to relocate an n64's cartridge slot

and then post this link to this video: Cartridge slot relocation video

Would that be acceptable? Doing that would allow me to help much more...I'm a more of a "hands on" teacher than a "textbook" teacher(relevance: making video tutorials showing you how instead of showing you a diagram/writing it all out).

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;