About This Forum

All our accumulated knowledge of console hacking, gathered in one forum for easy access!

The "Submissions" system has been done away with. YOU CAN NOW MAKE THREADS IN EVERY SUBFORUM IN HERE, so get in there and help out!

Moderator:Moderators

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp
About This Forum

Post by bicostp » Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am

You're probably wondering what this subforum is for. Well, simply put we're going to give this a try instead of the wiki. The wiki, while useful, wasn't as convenient as having things in the forums, which is probably why interest waned really quickly. So instead, this forum will have separate subforums, and your tutorials, pinouts, and other information will go in there. The goal is to get better, more detailed guides that are more easily searched than the stickies, while still having the convenience of keeping everything in the forums unlike the wiki systems.

Only mods and admins can make new threads (to keep newcomers from turning this area into a duplicate of the existing forums), but for now you can still reply to existing threads. Instead, you can make threads in the appropriate "outside" forum, and then they can be voted upon and moved into the corresponding Reference forum. (We might make an auto-pruned "Submissions" forum for this purpouse.)

Bear with us as we experiment with different submission systems and get this in working order. It doesn't look like much now, but with your help we can make this the definitive reference guide for portablizing!

P.S. For new users: this forum is not for asking questions! Please ask questions in the rest of the board.

Taiben

Re: About This Forum

Post by Taiben » Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 am

I do have a question about this. If someone posts something but disappears from the forum and a new user has refined the process or found new information is there a way for it to get edited to reflect the latest knowlege?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed May 06, 2009 11:58 am

Like I said, we're still figuring out the best way to do this. :lol: I guess the newcomer could put it in a reply to the existing guide, or make one of their own.

Permissions changed to let users make new threads. They should be the same as the rest of the board now.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 pm

I suggest you allow all Portablizer Extraordinaires and above to create topics and posts, not everyone. Questions can be asked elsewhere, this is more of a collection of knowledge without the need to filter through hundreds of questions.

Hell, you could even make a "questions and additions" sub-forum.
Hey, sup?

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I suggest you allow all Portablizer Extraordinaires and above to create topics and posts, not everyone. Questions can be asked elsewhere, this is more of a collection of knowledge without the need to filter through hundreds of questions.
I disagree. Someone can post relevant threads here without being a portablizer. I think 100 posts ir a better limit as it's assures that the user knows the ropes.

And then there's the question of whether these forums should in themselves carry information and guides, or point to other places. If the former, it might be a good idea to move some threads from the other forums there. If the latter to start to make threads with link collections.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Getting 100 posts is easy without knowing what your doing. If its worth adding, chances are, someone who can edit it will add it.

I agree with kurt_. For once. ;)

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed May 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Comments:

1) If you want this to eventually be definitive (as you put it), then you need to cover more systems than listed. There were a stream of other consoles brought out that deserve modding, and can be modded. I have mentioned this before and now there is an opportunity for suitable sections; however the request looks like it is still being ignored - so this can hardly be "definitive" - it's like saying a definitive movie collection of very movie ever made; um, except for anything pre 2000 and only from the USA ... and has to feature Tom Hanks (it's either definitive or it ain't)!

While i'm at it, there should also be a section on batteries, types, good brands; good protection circuits to use with Li-po's etc; which ones work to their claimed values and which ones don't, etc.

2) Not right that only mods and admins can make new threads or run them unless they have done the work entirely by themselves originally (eg their portable, etc). Obviously, if a member has gone then that is different, but their sigs should still be shown and credit given.

This would alienate the members here as it means that other members will have their work cut and pasted into another thread with someone else taking the credit (eg a moderator) which is not fair. You can't have a definitive guide without member contributions and corrections, which means they have to be able to post and contribute. Put it this way, if I choose to post work I should have the credit for innovating, then I should be able to post it and have the right to do so; I might also not want it posted here at all so should have the right not to have it shown (my decision after all): I would object if someone else posted any of my work in a general section therefore.

It will therefore be a balance to not alienate members here and breed discontent for the reasons above.

For example, I have posted pinouts for some boards (eg a correct pinout for the PSone controller as Ben's in his book is incorrect), and worked some bits out on the TurboGrafx, and other work (including many pics); so if anyone is going to post it here it is only right it is me, not a moderator or admin; in fact, I would take exception. It is good to have a "definitive" section for works to be posted to help others, but the originator must post it, take the credit and have their sig shown against the work.

Any posts submitted will need to be restricted to diagrams, pinouts or similar; and brief, to the point; no worklogs, etc.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm

bacteria wrote:For example, I have posted pinouts for some boards (eg a correct pinout for the PSone controller as Ben's in his book is incorrect), and worked some bits out on the TurboGrafx, and other work (including many pics); so if anyone is going to post it here it is only right it is me, not a moderator or admin; in fact, I would take exception. It is good to have a "definitive" section for works to be posted to help others, but the originator must post it, take the credit and have their sig shown against the work.
Um, why not have the post copied with a link to the original?
The only reason for limiting who can make threads is to keep this section from turning into a crap pit with n00bs asking questions, thats what the other forums are for. I think bic even changed it so all members can make threads (I can't tell if he did though). So it doesn't matter.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm

I wouldn't exactly say the thread-starting capabilities are up for debate. The reason we decided on only moderators creating topics is because of style/formatting issues (and ALSO to keep noobs out). After it's all started up, there should be no need to create many threads, anyway.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm

You just proved my point, thanks. Only mods to make the topics and decide how they look and the contents (so people who actually did the work can't add their credits to it or input); and "after it's all started up, there should be no need to create many threads, anyway" - this is Big Brother not a discussion forum - "I decide what goes in and I post what I want, and when it is complete; because I say so" seems the flavour of this; bitter taste in the mouth guys, isn't it? Doomed to fail, or to lose members; congratulations, nice move.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Wed May 06, 2009 3:57 pm

How about handhelds? :/

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm

bacteria wrote:Doomed to fail, or to lose members; congratulations, nice move.
Actually, ChristianDontBanMe is not a member I would lament being rid of.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed May 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Instead of remaking threads with information, the mods could easily just move threads into this forum.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm

bacteria wrote:You just proved my point, thanks. Only mods to make the topics and decide how they look and the contents (so people who actually did the work can't add their credits to it or input); and "after it's all started up, there should be no need to create many threads, anyway" - this is Big Brother not a discussion forum - "I decide what goes in and I post what I want, and when it is complete; because I say so" seems the flavour of this; bitter taste in the mouth guys, isn't it? Doomed to fail, or to lose members; congratulations, nice move.
The hell? Maybe you're missing the concept that users have the ability to request a topic to be created by a moderator. This is a message board, not a government.

@jjhammerstein: true. However, we're aiming to an extremely organized reference book comprised of well-written guides and specifications partnered with images using a standardized "sprite sheet" that is soon to be revealed. However, anyone who would like to create their own guides for this forum has the opportunity to create them and send them along to any (active) moderator - credit will be given, of course!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed May 06, 2009 4:19 pm

Comments:

1) If you want this to eventually be definitive (as you put it), then you need to cover more systems than listed. There were a stream of other consoles brought out that deserve modding, and can be modded. I have mentioned this before and now there is an opportunity for suitable sections; however the request looks like it is still being ignored - so this can hardly be "definitive" - it's like saying a definitive movie collection of very movie ever made; um, except for anything pre 2000 and only from the USA ... and has to feature Tom Hanks (it's either definitive or it ain't)! there is nothing stopping anybody from working on any system not listed here, if they want a thread for any system not listed all they have to do is request it! how hard is that

While i'm at it, there should also be a section on batteries, types, good brands; good protection circuits to use with Li-po's etc; which ones work to their claimed values and which ones don't, etc. in due time, we just made this section recently, you cant expect it to be all encompasing and complete mere hours or days after we put it here!

2) Not right that only mods and admins can make new threads or run them unless they have done the work entirely by themselves originally (eg their portable, etc). Obviously, if a member has gone then that is different, but their sigs should still be shown and credit given. last time i checked this forum was not a democracy, we listen to the input of our members. this isnt a "show off something you made" forum, it is a REFERENCE forum, much like wikipedia, you dont see "bill posted X info on wiki" now do you? credit will be given to the person who made the discovery or posted the info

This would alienate the members here as it means that other members will have their work cut and pasted into another thread with someone else taking the credit (eg a moderator) which is not fair. You can't have a definitive guide without member contributions and corrections, which means they have to be able to post and contribute. Put it this way, if I choose to post work I should have the credit for innovating, then I should be able to post it and have the right to do so; I might also not want it posted here at all so should have the right not to have it shown (my decision after all): I would object if someone else posted any of my work in a general section therefore. your making assumptions about us mods that i dont particularly like, we arent stupid, its not bloody hard to put "information courtesy of X" in the thread we make based on said persons info

It will therefore be a balance to not alienate members here and breed discontent for the reasons above.

For example, I have posted pinouts for some boards (eg a correct pinout for the PSone controller as Ben's in his book is incorrect), and worked some bits out on the TurboGrafx, and other work (including many pics); so if anyone is going to post it here it is only right it is me, not a moderator or admin; in fact, I would take exception. It is good to have a "definitive" section for works to be posted to help others, but the originator must post it, take the credit and have their sig shown against the work. if you dont want your work cross posted thats fine, we just wont use any of your images or information

Any posts submitted will need to be restricted to diagrams, pinouts or similar; and brief, to the point; no worklogs, etc.
thank you captain obvious, this is a REFERENCE section, not a worklog section. we will have our own diagrams etc for just about everything
You make a great deal of assumptions as to the integrity and intelligence of our moderating team here. we are not Orwellian naziesque a$$holes bent on taking all the credit for everything posted in this section, in case you didn't read the header this is the REFERENCE section, not the news or general forum. It makes sense to have a uniform style for ease of use. of course credit will be given where credit is due for all images and procedures and if your not happy with the way we decide to do things feel free to pull all your materials from the site and move elsewhere.