Sega Nomad - P1 Controller port mod

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

duo_r
Sega Nomad - P1 Controller port mod

Post by duo_r » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Does anyone know how to peform this mod? I want to add in a P1 Controller port, and be able to plug in Joystick or 6 Button controller. With the S-video capability this is a great system to "consolize."

I found the chip that controls / encodes the inputs, but not sure if I would need to bypass the chip or if I could simply create a connector port that just wires to the correct pins. Any ideas?

Modder is SegaSonicFan

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... AWESOME!!!

And a first for the Sega Nomad (at least that I'm aware of) Controller 1 port input!!!: Unrestricted use of ANY controller for player 1 (to substitute the onboard gamepad and buttons) - Sega Arcade Power Stick, Sega's flight stick, Sega Mouse, etc!!

Onboard gamepad and buttons automatically disable with the connection of a controller in port 1.

Impossible for the Nomad before was also use of EA's adapter for 4 player EA games as it requires use of both controller ports 1 and 2. This is now possible with the addition of the player 1 input port. 4 player general chaos on the Nomad anyone?

4 Player General Chaos Hooked Up

Modgyver
360 GamerTag:tech5mods

Re: Sega Nomad - P1 Controller port mod

Post by Modgyver » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:23 am

are you trying to use it as 1st or second player?

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:25 am

P1 since it already has P2 port

Modgyver
360 GamerTag:tech5mods

Post by Modgyver » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:34 pm

you would have to extend each button from the board and run them to the svideo, then from s video run them to the controller board, im asuming your cutting the ps1 controller END/PLUG and replacing it with svideo plug so that it plugs in to NOMAD? so you will have to iliminate the svideo of course. this is all coming from my head i dont have a nomad or ps1 contrller infront of me.. maybe somone has an easyer solution or idea..just trying to help..

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Built the circuit, and got it to work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92thd3L04HY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 am

So you had to build a circuit and just couldn't tap the pinout from the ribbon cable that connects the two boards? Also, with this mod, how close is the possibility on completely removing the daughterboard and running the Nomad with just the smaller board?

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:03 pm

it was actually just wiring up to the correct ribbon pins and hooking up to a DB9.

However - I am now having a problem. All the mods I have are set and working properly, however I am now getting really bad interference, it isn't too bad until the screen is black or very dark. I get a lot of wavy lines / interference. Hooking up to a TV via S-video, I am seeing the same interference although not as bad.

Here is my thoughts (and let me know which one to chase first):

The cheap ebay LCD I bought is junk, and is causing the problem
The DB9 controller port is causing the interference
The SMS mode modification is the issue (the last mod done before doing a test and noticing the issue)

Now my LCD isn't energy efficient, I am not getting as much battery life as others have on the same Lithium Ion battery. I am thinking that it draws to much energy, and maybe the cause of the issue? If I disconnect the screen that should indicate if that is the problem (and S-video to the TV doesn't have a problem).

I might hookup to the PS1 LCD and see if I get different results.

Let me know your thoughts, kinda frustrating because I have spent so much time trouble shooting this one. I put in a shielded cable for the composite video line, and although the video slightly improved it wasn't by much.

Thoughts? Anyone know of a good quality 3.5" screen for the nomads?
duo_r wrote:Built the circuit, and got it to work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92thd3L04HY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34 am

Turns out it is the screen. I put a switch to the screen and when flipped off and hooked up to a TV all the video noise goes away. I was able to reduce the amount of interference of the screen itself so it looks good again. I can still see some interference if I look carefully on a dark screen. I am thinking the power lines caused the issue with the screen. Should I put some type of shield over the screen?

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am

OK got most of the issues worked out, slight interference on the screen but usually unnoticeable.

Ok some finished pics of the additional mods.

Here you can see the P1 controller port, and also the physical reset button. Also the brightness wheel was replaced with an on/off switch for the LCD, for improved battery time when hooked up to a TV. The reset button is resessed enough that it won't be accidentally pushed. You have to give it a good press with your finger.

And here you can see the S-video port and also the LCD buttons to control the brightness and screen settings:

snakeye355

Post by snakeye355 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

please tell me you offer these mods as service...already have a nomad modded with a new lcd, region switch, and s-video...i really want to add the lcd screen switch, p1 port and reset button like you did...