Change GBC Boot Sound?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

matherite
Change GBC Boot Sound?

Post by matherite » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi y'all! I poked around and couldn't find any projects that had done this so I figured I'd ask. I'd like to change the Gameboy Color boot sound (the little chime) into something else. I would probably include a sound chip (like from one of those singing birthday cards) that would activate on startup and disable the original sound. However, I'm not really sure how to do that (I couldn't even find pinouts for the GBC) and most of my mods have been xbox 360 controllers, so I'm not even used to working with handhelds/Nintendo hardware, so your thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

ProgMetalMan

Re: Change GBC Boot Sound?

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm 90% sure that it's built into the BIOS, and therefore impossible.
That is, unless you want to recode the BIOS, fix the pointers that got screwed up when you reprogrammed it, get a flash memory chip for it, make it compatible, and then reflash the BIOS.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.