Questions regarding upgrades to a Game Gear screen

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Worknat
Questions regarding upgrades to a Game Gear screen

Post by Worknat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Hello everyone. I recently was gifted a used Game Gear by a friend. Being forewarned it might not work, I had someone take it apart while scouring the net for repairs/upgrades to be done to it. Stumbling upon lovablechevy's amazing Handy Gear mod, I was reminded of Ben Heck's stuff and eventually found these forums. A great deal of reading afterwards, and cutting corners on an overambitious and expensive plan, it was whittled down to just the LED mod and capacitor replacement.

Still, I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the screen to something a little better, without spending too much money and (more importantly) time doing something like the TV mod. If so, I would appreciate suggestions on possible replacement candidates (the DSi screen is supposed to be great, right?) and links to tutorials on how to do it.

As an aside, I have a few Master System games that would be awesome to play, but the MasterGear converter adds lots of bulk to an already big handheld. Have you guys tried something like the Everdrive GG? It sounds nice, but a tad too pricey an addition for an ~$40 system.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Re: Questions regarding upgrades to a Game Gear screen

Post by Tibia » Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm

There's not much you can do to the GG without doing that tv mod. The GG screen is fairly unusual, and it's taken quite a bit of reverse engineering to get anywhere with it. I know there's at least one guy out there with kits, but that's really all that you can do for the screen.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Worknat

Re: Questions regarding upgrades to a Game Gear screen

Post by Worknat » Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, tibia. :)

That's a shame, but I guess the caps replacement and LED mods (thanks for the tutorial you made on your livejournal, by the way) will be fine enough. Is there a thread here about the TV mod? I would like to check it out again, out of curiosity, but cannot seem to be able to find it. Also, do you know of cheap flash carts for the GG? I would rather use that than aMasterGear converter for my SMS games.