Relocated GBA cart slot - Won't play games now

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

SPCL
PSN Username:misterpony
360 GamerTag:yourlilpony
Relocated GBA cart slot - Won't play games now

Post by SPCL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 am

I've been tearing apart one of the non-SP GBA's for a project I'm working on. It requires that I relocate the cartridge slot (Which is about as painful as just shoving a soldering iron directly into your eye). I have done this - And I can get it to recognize that I've placed a CGB/GBA game in the slot, HOWEVER, it is just hanging on the screen now. I know that this GBA worked prior to screwing with it; I have gone through and done continuity checks between each pin, and done my best to get the contacts clean (This may still be the issue, if anyone has any suggestions on how to clean it better I'm all ears) where the games touch.

Like I said, it recognizes that there is a CGB game in there, but hangs right after; no splash/title screens, just GAMEBOY or GAMEBOY + nintendo. I have tested my test game on a CGB, GB pocket, and another GBA, it works fine on them.

What am I missing, and what can I check (or check again) to figure out why it's not starting up the games? I'm stuck at this step of my project until I can figure it out.

ProgMetalMan

Re: Relocated GBA cart slot - Won't play games now

Post by ProgMetalMan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:02 am

When you put a CGB game in there, does it display the GBA boot screen or the CGB boot screen?
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

SPCL
PSN Username:misterpony
360 GamerTag:yourlilpony

Post by SPCL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:41 am

It shows the CGB boot screen. I managed to track down what I think is the problem - there is a short between pins 16 & 18, at least, my continuity tester thinks so. I cannot physically locate the cross, however.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:46 am

I've relocated the cart slot of a GBA twice. A few good pictures of what you've done would help.

TimothyGebhard

Post by TimothyGebhard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 pm

If you used long wires between the cartridge slot and the MOBO they may be lowering the voltage coming from the cartridge. Perhaps use thicker and/or shorter wires?

Modgyver
360 GamerTag:tech5mods

Post by Modgyver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:41 pm

there is 32 pins total ( if i remember corectly) try bending one pin down and the next pin up, makes it a lot easyer to soldier, although don't bend "up" pins on the sp motherboard, they can easily come off and rip the trace off, just on the cartrige slot.I used 30 gauge wire and it worked for me, i extended wires at almost 3'' long..good luck, also make sure they are not reverse, that when you extended it you didnt flip it,would be like putting game in backwards.