Couple Projects: GBA Frontlight + GBA SP External HDD

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

LiquidLogic
PSN Username:Alistairslalom
Couple Projects: GBA Frontlight + GBA SP External HDD

Post by LiquidLogic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm

GBA Frontlight
I've been browsing this forum for the past week or so and it has inspired me to backlight my GBA. I've decided to try and use a 3-way switch and a couple different sizes of resistor to have 3 settings for my backlight: Off, Low Brightness, High Brightness. Has anyone done this before and have any tips?
I recall seeing pictures of someone installing a switch behind the L/R button but I can't find it anywhere now...

So far I have:
GBA
GBASP (on it's way)
Screen protectors to use as antiglare films (on the way)
Small 3-way switch salvaged from an old pocket radio
All the wiring/resistors etc I may need (I work my summer/winter holidays at a company hand making electrical equipment... fancy pcb's etc)

Anything missing?

GBA SP External HDD
Since I'm going to have a GBASP without a frontlight I'm going to attempt to put a 160gb iPod HDD in the case and have a BANGIN external HDD.
I'll probably just get something like this: http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/ ... lhadr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; rip it up and attempt to fit it in the gba sp case but again anyone with experience of doing this?
Does anyone know how I could get the screen to turn on and display an image when it is connected to a pc? Too ambitious?