Adapting DS lite touch screen to GBA(not for interface)

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Proudhonite
360 GamerTag:xKrauserDMCx
Adapting DS lite touch screen to GBA(not for interface)

Post by Proudhonite » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 am

hello there, i wanted to ask some questions about the viability of this project.
the general idea is to adapt a ds touchscreen to my gbc, only for visuals not for actual interface (the reason for this is because i wanted to make some mods to my gbc with a damaged screen, and the only other screen i had laying around was the touchscreen of a pretty damaged DsLite).
i thought this to be possible without a lot of electronical knowledge (at first, i wanted to just put a video out to my GBC, but it seems that this needed the use of FPGA and a lot of other things that were way over my head) because both consoles probably use the same kind of video sistem (diferent quantities of RGB pins, vertical sync, horizontal sync, and clock signal) so i would basically just need to wire the correct pins from the GBC to the Ds screen (can i wire directly to the ribbon cable?); is that correct? or am i just being naive?.

Besides that, does anyone have information about the GBC and DS Lite video pins? (i have just some superficial information abut the GBC video pins, saying that SPS, SPL and DCK are the output for vsync, hsync, and clock and that it has 5 pins for each R,G abd B, but looking in my motherboard, i did not found such a set of 5 pins, i however found, a set of 6 pins (going form 0 to 5) called LDR, LDG and LDB which i believe might be the RGB outputs, does anyone knows if this is correct?)

and finally, and a little off-topic, can someone recomend me a way, tutorial or book to start to learn and practice electronics? for things like this and more computer oriented things (i have a very basic knowledge of this things, and mostly empirical, and i would like to learn a lot more before going with a thing like this).

Thanks Beforehand! and sorry for being so discordinated :?

ChooChooBot
PSN Username:ChalupaTroopa4
360 GamerTag:ChalupaTroopa4

Re: Adapting DS lite touch screen to GBA(not for interface)

Post by ChooChooBot » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Welcome to the forums! I don't know much about the pin outs of how the Gameboy screens work but It would be hard to solder to the tiny ribbon cable pins. I have a guide on my site that shows a step by step tutorial on how to add a front light to a GBC. Feel free to check that out at http://www.choochoobot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For your question about where to learn electronic info from, I say just go to the local library. They have tons of great books there about electronics.

Proudhonite
360 GamerTag:xKrauserDMCx

Post by Proudhonite » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 pm

thank you for your reply!, i might try that with my GBA pretty soon (after all, mi GBC does not work right now). just a question, why did you use that pin to connect the resistor?.

And about learning electronics, i was thinking more like some sets of online tutorials or pdfs, because here in my country, is actually pretty difficult to find this kind of literature (books are quite expensive, and i do not believe that i can go to an university library very often)

thank you again!

armarares

Post by armarares » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Well,you have the internet,and there are a lot of tutorials on youtube and other sites!
Start with kipkay,simple projects that are fun,then get more into it. This is how I started!