Sega Game Gear Stereo Speaker Mod?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Soniku
Sega Game Gear Stereo Speaker Mod?

Post by Soniku » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi all,
I tried doing a board search here and searching around google, but I can't find any tutorials on adding another speaker in the Game Gear for stereo sound. Out of all the crazy mods out there, I'm sure somebody would have done this one by now. Anybody have a link to a tutorial or can provide some instructions here?

thewizdawg

Re: Sega Game Gear Stereo Speaker Mod?

Post by thewizdawg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:19 am

Doesn't the headphone jack output stereo? If you tap the signal from there you can add another speaker. I think you can also get it from the system board but I think this would be easier. Also while you got it open replace those caps. :)

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes the headphone jack output stereo. The one speaker it has only puts out mono sound.

Soniku

Post by Soniku » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:57 am

I have already switched out the caps. That's why I'm feeling a little more adventurous to try out another mod for it. Know what points I would solder a second speaker to? Or what speaker to buy for it. Maybe I could upgrade the speakers while I'm at it. I got myself a few broken systems to play with.

cross

Post by cross » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 pm

You can buy some small PS1 speakers or any generic small speakers and they will work as long as they fit

Take pics of the internal headphone jack and ill tell you

Soniku

Post by Soniku » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm in the middle of a move, so I don't have access to open up my GG right now.
Maybe this link will help?
http://blog.spitzenpfeil.org/wordpress/ ... 94-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I should probably replace the audio board caps while I'm in there now that I think about it.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:02 am

I'm sure a stereo speaker mod can certainly be done with the Game Gear since it has some extra room internally for another speaker. You could connect the speakers to the headphone jack, but the volume would be too low. Headphone jacks normally don't output enough wattage to drive a speaker to a decent volume. If I were to attempt such a mod, I'd probably ditch the original audio board and build a new one.

I personally don't think it would be worth it since only a few Game Gear games output stereo sound. The Game Gear is basically a Sega Master System (which was mono only) with more colors and less resolution. If you have working sound now, I wouldn't mess with it.

Also, I wouldn't open up the system and indiscriminately replace capacitors. Most failed caps have signs of leakage near the solder points. If a cap's solder connection has a yellowish tint (rather being shiny silver) there's a good chance it's faulty. If you heat up a leaky cap's solder connection with a soldering iron, it will have a distinct smell. I don't know how to describe this smell, nor do I recommend huffing solder fumes, but this is how I know I'm replacing the right ones. I fixed the sound on my Turbo Duo this way.