Why the Gameboy Color cannot be backlight.

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Qwertlolo
Why the Gameboy Color cannot be backlight.

Post by Qwertlolo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:46 pm

So hey. I'm a bit new around here, however throughout my exploration of your site, i have noticed that a lot of people seem to want to back light the Game boy Color, despite many people stating numerous times that this is not possible. i haven't really seen anyone showing picture proof or anything, so i figured someone should do this, and show the results of a back light on a game boy screen.

So all i did was take the metal casing off from around the screen, put my phone behind it for some light, and took a snapshot. nothing to big, just kinda figured id show anyone who was interested in the results of such an experiment. As you can see, the results are, well, lackluster. or lack-color.
if nothing else, perhaps this little escapade of mine will keep some people from gutting perfectly good game boy color to no avail. And well, thats about all i got. Peace out yo!

P.S., the gameboy I used was already kind of destroyed by a friend, so I didn’t really harm it to much. the screen was like that before (nothing on the one side), and the speaker was shot. I’ll prolly just fix this on a rainy day or something. maybe as a tribute, I’ll even front light it :lol:

tom61

Re: Why the Gameboy Color cannot be backlight.

Post by tom61 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:53 am

Try either flipping over the polarizer, or rotating it 90 degrees if you're still interested in playing with it.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 pm

youre trying to backlight a polarized LCD screen with polarized light from another LCD screen... wont work

EDIT: nevermind. screwing with mine now... not having much luck

Qwertlolo

Post by Qwertlolo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:26 pm

dragonhead wrote:youre trying to backlight a polarized LCD screen with polarized light from another LCD screen...
Yeah I figured that would screw with it a bit, but heck, put it up to a window on a sunny day for all I care, it still won't work lol.