Paint to use on a GBA SP?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Lateralus
Paint to use on a GBA SP?

Post by Lateralus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:53 pm

I've already painted my DSi with spraypaint and a stencil + painters tape, the result was pretty cool. I'm rather artistic and looking for a means of which I can paint my own design onto my Gameboy Advance SP. Of course, I'd start off with sanding the whole plastic case down, but I need to know if I can use modeling paint and then spray the whole thing with a clearcoat matte finish to keep it from chipping/scratching etc. If modeling paint is not the best choice, please notify me otherwise.

ChooChooBot
PSN Username:ChalupaTroopa4
360 GamerTag:ChalupaTroopa4

Re: Paint to use on a GBA SP?

Post by ChooChooBot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:41 pm

I use model paint from a local store on all my Gameboy paint jobs. Make sure it is for plastics though not metal. The metal tends to chip away if used on plastic. I don't really see the need to sand down the case. You could always just paint over the original paint job.

Lateralus

Post by Lateralus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:49 pm

ChooChooBot wrote:I use model paint from a local store on all my Gameboy paint jobs. Make sure it is for plastics though not metal. The metal tends to chip away if used on plastic. I don't really see the need to sand down the case. You could always just paint over the original paint job.
Thanks a bunch. Do you happen to have a tutorial on this or do you just kinda wing it? Do you have any example pictures of your jobs? I'm interested c:

ChooChooBot

Post by ChooChooBot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Here are a few of my Gameboy Color paint jobs. These units also have a frontlight, and a GBA SP speaker in them.

Lateralus

Post by Lateralus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Awesome, did you spray any kind of protective finish after doing your painting or not? Also, is there any profit in custom painted GBA SPs? I'm somewhat looking for a new project, and I figure I might as well try to make some cash while doing it.

ChooChooBot

Post by ChooChooBot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Nope no protective finished needed. I buy clear Gameboy Colors and paint the inside of the casing. Painting the inside lets the cool paint job shown, and protects it because the outside is still how I bought it. My modded Gameboy Colors seem to sell well. I'm not sure how good a custom painted GBA SP would sell but it is worth trying.

Lateralus

Post by Lateralus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Awesome, thanks for all your help. I'll just wing it and gauge if it needs a protective coat of paint since I'm painting the outside, better safe than sorry.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Krylon Fusion is good for this kind of thing. I used it on my UWGB XBox. Get a good clearcoat, especially as handhelds get handled quite a bit and are subject to wear.

Lateralus

Post by Lateralus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm

eagle5953 wrote:Krylon Fusion is good for this kind of thing. I used it on my UWGB XBox. Get a good clearcoat, especially as handhelds get handled quite a bit and are subject to wear.
That'd be fine for the base coat and finishing clear coat, but I'm trying to do something fairly detailed :p, so I think I'll use a combination of spraypaint and model paint :) Thanks for the help.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Ahh, ok.

If you need additional cases to practice on or sell later, I bought a GBA SP replacement case on dealextreme for $4 shipped, if I recall correctly. They had different colors too.