Guide to frontlight a Gameboy Color

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Coreykun667
PSN Username:keroro1125
360 GamerTag:coreykun667
Steam ID:coreykun667
Re: Guide to frontlight a Gameboy Color

Post by Coreykun667 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah, luckily one of my friends had one laying around that he didn't want anymore, so he sold it to me. One of my other friends also gave me a copy of Megaman Xtreme, so I'm feelin' pretty darn good today.

Coreykun667

Post by Coreykun667 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Now I just hope the tri wing screwdriver set that I ordered from estarland comes soon. It seems like an eternity that I've been waiting since I ordered it on saturday. :wtf:

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 pm

That guide, is excellent. Nice work!

Coreykun667

Post by Coreykun667 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Well, I managed to get a significant chunk done today. I got the screen and stuff out of the donor sp and got the black adhesive off the screen.
Ugh, that sp was a royal pain. The screws didn't want to budge and then the adhesive stuff (hoo boy). :wtf: I now have waaaaaaaaaay higher respect and sympathy for modders and repair guys. :shock:

ChooChooBot
PSN Username:ChalupaTroopa4
360 GamerTag:ChalupaTroopa4

Post by ChooChooBot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:51 am

Ahh cool I hope your Gameboy turns out good. I'm currently making one for a commission. It's painted up and ready to be assembled :).

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am

hey where did you get the transparent blue case for you gameboy color?
I have a transparent clear case but the blue one looks EPIC :D

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am

hey where did you get the gameboy from, you said it was $24, but i can't find any for that price :P

ChooChooBot

Post by ChooChooBot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 pm

0M3G4 wrote:hey where did you get the transparent blue case for you gameboy color?

It's a Gameboy color Purple case. I buy them at local retro game stores.
0M3G4 wrote:hey where did you get the gameboy from, you said it was $24, but i can't find any for that price
I get those from the local store too. He just gives his crappy ones so I can take the light out of them.

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

ChooChooBot wrote:
0M3G4 wrote:hey where did you get the transparent blue case for you gameboy color?

It's a Gameboy color Purple case. I buy them at local retro game stores.
0M3G4 wrote:hey where did you get the gameboy from, you said it was $24, but i can't find any for that price
I get those from the local store too. He just gives his crappy ones so I can take the light out of them.
OK well i'll just have to keep looking for a cheap SP xD
thanks for the info :)

absolalone111
PSN Username:absolalone
360 GamerTag:absolalone
Steam ID:absolalone111

Post by absolalone111 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:42 am

Hi, im stillnew, but i have been looking around on here for a bit, and found this thread. I dont understand why you have to get the frontlight from an sp, i cant remeber where but i came across a DMG backlighting kit that could be used to front light a GBC, I think it was on kitsch bent, il have a look. Also, the kit was a lot cheaper than a gba sp.
33%

Also resident anime weedlord

Apeshit

Post by Apeshit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:46 am

ChooChooBot wrote:The battery life feels the same to me so no need to worry about in draining batteries.
It feels the same? You'll probably find the added current draw is considerably higher if you do a multimeter test. Probably somewhere around 20% or more.

It's more efficient to shape the panel down and put it in so the etching is vertical with the LCD instead of horizontal. Also requires less plastic to be removed in the shell. Granted, reshaping those panels isn't exactly an easy task.

Good, informative tutorial though. Great for beginners. A lot of people make mistakes on this mod.

I also like your paintjobs. But those reproduction screen covers are quite...ugly. Do you use shells from dealextreme? If not, you may want to try them. They come with better looking screen covers, but nothing beats the originals.

ChooChooBot

Post by ChooChooBot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:47 pm

crap wrote: I also like your paintjobs. But those reproduction screen covers are quite...ugly. Do you use shells from dealextreme? If not, you may want to try them. They come with better looking screen covers, but nothing beats the originals.
The screen covers are original. They look odd because they have a plastic film over them. It just caught the light in my photos.

Apeshit

Post by Apeshit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 pm

ChooChooBot wrote: The screen covers are original. They look odd because they have a plastic film over them. It just caught the light in my photos.
Original as in genuine, or made by you? Because authentic ones don't have protective plastic on them.

vs.

ChooChooBot

Post by ChooChooBot » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:37 am

My distributor gets them brand new straight from Nintendo. The brand new screen covers come with a glossy protective layer to prevent scratches until it is peeled off. I leave them on the finished products so its up to the buyer to remove them or not.

Apeshit

Post by Apeshit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Your distributor is pulling your leg, then. Nintendo doesn't make gameboy color screen cover replacements anymore, and the screen covers never looked like that. Those are quite clearly reproductions. Look at how spaced out the "color" text is.