Gameboy pocket modding EDIT: WITH PICTURE!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Trippikana
Gameboy pocket modding EDIT: WITH PICTURE!

Post by Trippikana » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:23 am

Hi! I have been long time lurker here, and I'm finally starting my own modding project! :D
I'm going to mod my gameboy pocket (which haven't come yet) to have these:
- Backlit (I'm going to use my broken DS lite backlight)
- Repainting
- Prosound (should be simple, right?)
- (overclock)

What I have done so far:
- Backlit taken from DS lite screen
- Backlight
- Overclock

However, I have some questions about backlighting. I think I took more than enough parts from screen. All I have left is orange stip connected to transparent plastic screen:
. Should there be something more/else :? And where should I solder wires to kit? (I know these are stupid questions :facepalm: )
I have also followed Bibin's guide, but after step 7 I get a bit confused :|

Thanks in advance :)

HUZZAH!

(I know it could look better, but I have no time to fix that D: )
Last edited by Trippikana on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Gameboy pocket modding

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 pm

All he does is remove the WHITE layer. NOT the polarization layer. If you remove that, you will see nothing on the screen.

The moisture helps remove it.

Then he soldered to the LED FFC cable V+ and GND. He then soldered a resistor to lower the voltage from the Gameboy's battery 'level' LED.

Electronically it is extremely easy...
Case mod wise, it is hard...

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Haunted360 wrote:All he does is remove the WHITE layer. NOT the polarization layer. If you remove that, you will see nothing on the screen.

The moisture helps remove it.

Then he soldered to the LED FFC cable V+ and GND. He then soldered a resistor to lower the voltage from the Gameboy's battery 'level' LED.

Electronically it is extremely easy...
Case mod wise, it is hard...
Thank you really much! :D Now I only have to found compatible resistor from shop tomorrow :)

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 am

I have bought resistor for backlight, crystal oscillator for overclocking, switch, which is too big and metallic blue spray paint :D So in theory I have every part that I need, but I still have to wait gameboy pocket from post...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Be really, really careful stripping the reflective layer off the back of the LCD! It is easy to mess up the ribbon cable. What I usually do is just pull off the entire polarizer from the back, reflective layer and all, and then replace it with a new sheet of polarized film.

Bibin and me used to work closely together, I am actually the guy who invented this method of using a DS backlight. :) We were racing to finish, I just barely beat him, the thread is around here somewhere.

Good luck!

Excellent

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:04 pm

palmertech wrote:Be really, really careful stripping the reflective layer off the back of the LCD! It is easy to mess up the ribbon cable. What I usually do is just pull off the entire polarizer from the back, reflective layer and all, and then replace it with a new sheet of polarized film.
(Oh god, it's Palmer! :D)
How big chance I have destroying reflective layer? And can I use layers from DS screen?
Bibin and me used to work closely together, I am actually the guy who invented this method of using a DS backlight. :) We were racing to finish, I just barely beat him, the thread is around here somewhere.

Good luck!
Yup, I knew that before I started this mod :lol: I have read a whole thread :)
And thank you :)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I still lurk here! :)

The problem is not destroying the reflective layer, you do not need it anymore, you are trying to remove it completely. The problem is, it can be hard to remove it perfectly (No adhesive left behind) without hurting the LCD ribbon cable. If you remove the polarizer+reflective layer, though, it usually leaves behind a perfectly smooth glass surface, with maybe one or two chunks of adhesive. Some gameboys are different than others, though, I had one where the reflective layer just pulled right off! Try to remove the most exposed corner of the reflective layer first, and if you see it leaving behind sticky stuff, you might want to try taking off the whole polarizer.

And yes, you can use the polarizer sheets from a DS LCD, if you can manage to remove them without hurting them too much. There are two per LCD, front and back of the panel, so you get a few tries. Pulling those off is good practice for the pocket LCD, too! Once you get them off, remove the adhesive that is left over with water+Q-Tips or even just fingers. Hold it under running water from a faucet while you do it, does not hurt the polarizer.

The main thing I can say is this: BE CAREFUL with the LCD ribbon cable when you get it! It is very, very delicate.

Excellent

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:30 pm

palmertech wrote:I still lurk here! :)

The problem is not destroying the reflective layer, you do not need it anymore, you are trying to remove it completely. The problem is, it can be hard to remove it perfectly (No adhesive left behind) without hurting the LCD ribbon cable. If you remove the polarizer+reflective layer, though, it usually leaves behind a perfectly smooth glass surface, with maybe one or two chunks of adhesive. Some gameboys are different than others, though, I had one where the reflective layer just pulled right off! Try to remove the most exposed corner of the reflective layer first, and if you see it leaving behind sticky stuff, you might want to try taking off the whole polarizer.

And yes, you can use the polarizer sheets from a DS LCD, if you can manage to remove them without hurting them too much. There are two per LCD, front and back of the panel, so you get a few tries. Pulling those off is good practice for the pocket LCD, too! Once you get them off, remove the adhesive that is left over with water+Q-Tips or even just fingers. Hold it under running water from a faucet while you do it, does not hurt the polarizer.

The main thing I can say is this: BE CAREFUL with the LCD ribbon cable when you get it! It is very, very delicate.
Ok, I got it now :)
I have already removed backlit kit from my DS lite, and every sheet were moving freely behind the LCD :shock: Or then they were wrong sheets... :oops:
I try to be really, really careful with removing reflective layer :)
I really wish that I get my MGB tomorrow (it's 11.30 PM here :lol: )

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Hah, sorry for not being clear. The polarizer layers in the DS are glued to the LCD panel itself! If you use a thin craft knife or something, you can peel it off the glass.

Those sheets that were moving freely behind the LCD, keep those. They are light diffusers, they make the backlight look much more even if you put them in front of the backlight plastic panel, and behind the LCD.

Excellent

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:56 am

Bad and good news!
Bad news:
When I connect backlit to gameboy, light turns on, but I got no image :cry:
Good news:
I didn't broke LCD cable! (when I remove backlit, image appears back) :lol:

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Yay yay yay! :D
After many trial and error, I got backlit (somewhat) working!
I had to use different place to wire power (because when I tried to add wire to place where bibin's guide showed, all I got was blank image :()
I will upload pictures as fast as I can :)

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:18 am

I got really bad news: Orange wire broke :wtf: I need either new backlight, or I use super bright led...
But I got overclock work :D

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 am

Awh, that sucks. Using a bright LED is not so bad though, you can use cool colors! :P Glad you got the overclock to work!

Excellent

Trippikana

Post by Trippikana » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:05 pm

palmertech wrote:Awh, that sucks. Using a bright LED is not so bad though, you can use cool colors! :P Glad you got the overclock to work!
Really good news! I used second screen from DS and now it have overclock AND backlight! :D
I'll update my first post soon ^^