GBA SP battery in GBC questions

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

0M3G4
GBA SP battery in GBC questions

Post by 0M3G4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:40 am

Hello!

I'm just wondering if anyone has made any progress with this, and if they have any advice for a n00b like me. I would like to make my beloved Gameboy Color rechargable (like these people here and here), but there aren't any really sound guides or instructions to do so. I understand how to power the GBC with a SP battery, but my issue is how do I charge it? I know I need some sort of protection circuit (like this one or this one), but I'm not sure how to wire it up xD

I'm just looking for any advice on this, I'd like to use the parts from my old (broken) SP for something, and I thought this would be perfect ^_^

(P.S. I've also seen (using PSP battery in Gameboy) this guide, but since I don't have a spare Slim battery, this guide isn't really feasible for me currently)

Thanks in Advance,
0M3G4

Rohan The Wind Waker

Re: GBA SP battery in GBC questions

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:43 am

well even though i'm a nOOb i know a way. the first step is to go and buy a new case for the GBC. second ( You need sodder skills ) On the gameboy color there is the batterie pack unscrew it then lift it up you should see two wires one red and one black. positive = red, black = negative. hook up the protection circuit then hook up the batterie to the other end and the charger put it in the case and bamb you have a rechargable GBC
Rohan The \/\/ind \/\/aker
I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:49 am

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:well even though i'm a nOOb i know a way. the first step is to go and buy a new case for the GBC. second ( You need sodder skills ) On the gameboy color there is the batterie pack unscrew it then lift it up you should see two wires one red and one black. positive = red, black = negative. hook up the protection circuit then hook up the batterie to the other end and the charger put it in the case and bamb you have a rechargeable GBC
Thanks, however, I pretty much new that much, but I'm looking for info on how to connect a charging port to like the protection circuit.

-0m3g4

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:58 am

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:well even though i'm a nOOb i know a way. the first step is to go and buy a new case for the GBC.
I guess I'm one step ahead i just ordered a clear gbc case this morning, lol xD

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:02 am

my other question is do i have to step down the 3.7/3.8 Volts to 3V for the GBC?

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 am

:mrgreen: using a step down regulator yeah.

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 am

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote::mrgreen: using a step down regulator yeah.
Can you give me an example of one??

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 pm

i contacted pkmnjunky7 and this is what he said:

[quote="Pkmnjunky7"]I didn't step it down at all, the 3.7 worked fine for me, but I did that before I really knew how to work with lipos at all. If I were you, instead of using an sp battery, I'd go to batteryspace and search for a 3v battery that you could fit in a gameboycolor, you could find a protection circuit on their site as well. The sp battery will work fine, but if you run it til it dies the battery can end up breaking. I have like 5 different sp batteries so I'm just careful with this, but I did have one of them malfunction and kind of inflate because there wasn't a protection circuit in place...[quote]

So idk if I need a step down regulator or not now :?

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:42 pm

well how many batteries does it take ? from him it's sounds like his takes 4 . from you it sounds like it takes 2 batteries.

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:well how many batteries does it take ? from him it's sounds like his takes 4 . from you it sounds like it takes 2 batteries.
it only takes 1 SP battery

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:04 pm

the gameboy color :wtf: not sp

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:07 am

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:the gameboy color :wtf: not sp
The gameboy color takes two AA batteries and if you mod it, it only takes one SP battery xD

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 am

mine takes 4. any way you need to step the voltage down or you could fry the board. i left mine alone because my max voltage is 6.5 and minimum is 3.5 . your max is 3.5 and minimum is 2.5.

0M3G4

Post by 0M3G4 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 am

Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:mine takes 4. any way you need to step the voltage down or you could fry the board. i left mine alone because my max voltage is 6.5 and minimum is 3.5 . your max is 3.5 and minimum is 2.5.
Hmm, i didnt think of that, but it'd really be hard to step the voltage down 0.2V xD
and pokejunky7 said his ran just fine with the 3.7V
Rohan The Wind Waker wrote:mine takes 4
You must have a DMG, gameboy COLOR only takes 2 AA's...

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am

Well you dont really need a step down, you can use a resistor

My gameboy color had 4 battries Wait :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: Have you ever seen a Gamegirl ? thats what it says the logo says Game Girl but it plays game boy games :?: