GBA SP in a Game Boy Pocket case?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

A Button
GBA SP in a Game Boy Pocket case?

Post by A Button » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 pm

My GBA SP backlight died on me a while back. I've mostly left it alone since I can just play the games on my PSP, but I was considering getting a Game Boy Pocket for the coolness factor. Some of those old GB games look really good, too.

Anyway, I was thinking the Game Boy Pocket would be a lot nicer if it had a back light - and a color screen! The SP and Pocket would probably come out to $10 or $20 on ebay depending on how lucky I am.

I know it's been fit into the original, but the Pocket looks a lot nicer. Plus it would actually fit in my pocket without having some gray brick of a handheld stick out :P

So, does anyone think it would really be possible to fit an SP into a Pocket case?

palmertech

Re: GBA SP in a Game Boy Pocket case?

Post by palmertech » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:17 pm

I have done it, but it is not as cool as you would think, and I was not too happy with the compromises that had to be made. The motherboard simply cannot fit into the GBP case unless you do extensive case modification, board trimming, and a bug chunk of bondo work to clean it up.

I would suggest doing a GBP backlight mod! I have done several, you can make your own LED backlight, buy premade ones, or if you are super hardcore, you can use an electroluminescent panel (As far as I know, I am the only person to pull that particular way off).

Excellent

A Button

Post by A Button » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:46 am

Unfortunately I'm not as hardcore as I'd like to be :D

If I just wanted the GBP with backlight I'd get a Game Boy Light. Much less work, eh? Anyway, could you show me some pictures or videos of the one you did? I might just end up getting another GBA. It wouldn't be nearly as cool, but it would work and I wouldn't have to risk breaking an innocent Game Boy.

armarares

Post by armarares » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 am

And I thought that I was the first with this ideea... :wtf:
Mine was a bit different:
1.A GBA in an GB case
2.A GBA in an GBC case
3.A GBA SP in an GB case
4.A GBA SP in an GBC case
Never thought of a poket case. :D

Anyway,would it work?

Apeshit

Post by Apeshit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:02 am

palmertech wrote: I would suggest doing a GBP backlight mod! I have done several, you can make your own LED backlight, buy premade ones, or if you are super hardcore, you can use an electroluminescent panel (As far as I know, I am the only person to pull that particular way off).
EL backlighting has been done a number of times in gameboy pockets. Could arguably be easier than LED backlighting once the inverter is fit in.

LED backlighting is generally the way to go. I have some newly designed panels coming in that should fit in a pocket with no modification to the panel, or to the case/pcb etc... Should be the simplest way to backlight a pocket, and a lot more cost efficient than a gameboy light.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:49 pm

crap wrote:EL backlighting has been done a number of times in gameboy pockets. Could arguably be easier than LED backlighting once the inverter is fit in.
Really? I would love it if you could link me to those other times, I have not been able to find any. Bibin made a "guide" on 8bc years ago, but he admitted that it was just a theory, and never actually did it. And then, back in 2009 when we were competing on modding Gameboys, we both did it, but never managed to fit the inverter in the case.

Excellent

Rancid-Milk-Man

Post by Rancid-Milk-Man » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

I just bought a GBP and SP to do this. I also signed up on the forums to ask this same question. I could use some help on the process you used to fit the SP in the GBP shell. I would really appreciate it if you had some extra time.