Game Gear Rechargeable Battery

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

kmam24
Game Gear Rechargeable Battery

Post by kmam24 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm

I just did a capacitor replacement on my old Sega Game Gear and planing on doing an LED Mod as well, but I wold like to make a charge controller to charge 6AA Ni-MH batteries in the Game Gear it self using the stock power supply. Dos any one now of any circuits for the charge controller? And no I don't want use Lithium, I want to leave the case and battery compartments intact so I can still us Alkaline AAs if the chargeable die and I don't have the charger.

Thanks.

Stock Power Supply is 10V DC 0.85A
6 AA Ni-MH are 7.2V

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Re: Game Gear Rechargeable Battery

Post by Tibia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't have a circuit for charging NiMHs in a GG. I think you'd almost have to build a new power board for the GG to do that with the original jack, and I've got no help for you there. I don't know nearly enough about charging circuits to figure that one out. Personally, I think you'd be better off with a set of these. They clip right into the original battery compartments, and they use the exact same type of AC adapter as the GG, but the jack is on one of the packs.

If you found a NiMH charging circuit, you could gut the packs and replace the cells and circuitry inside them. That'd be far easier than trying to incorporate that into the GG itself. I did something similar with this battery pack, a 7.4V camcorder battery, and the charger for the battery. I think that'd be far easier than trying to fit the charging circuit in the GG in a way that doesn't mess with the power board.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.