Gameboy Pocket Backlight Flicker

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

batteries
Steam ID:autolycus5
Gameboy Pocket Backlight Flicker

Post by batteries » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Hey Guys,

I bought a backlight from nonelectronics.com and it seems to work fine. However, following Bibin's tut at http://bibin.gg8.se/blog/projects-and-g ... oy-pocket/ , the screen flickers noticeably. And, the flicker seems to correspond with whats happening on the LCD. i.e. If I'm playing Zelda and I walk into a house, when it refreshes the whole screen to change to the inside of the house, the backlight dims, just for a second.

I know there is a way to stabilize the power supply to the backlight, but I don't know the details. Any experts out there care to help out?

Thanks!

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Re: Gameboy Pocket Backlight Flicker

Post by com64 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:53 pm

batteries wrote: Hey Guys,

I bought a backlight from nonelectronics.com and it seems to work fine. However, following Bibin's tut at http://bibin.gg8.se/blog/projects-and-g ... oy-pocket/ , the screen flickers noticeably. And, the flicker seems to correspond with whats happening on the LCD. i.e. If I'm playing Zelda and I walk into a house, when it refreshes the whole screen to change to the inside of the house, the backlight dims, just for a second.

I know there is a way to stabilize the power supply to the backlight, but I don't know the details. Any experts out there care to help out?

Thanks!
Hey, I just modded my Game Boy Pocket with a DS Backlight.

Try connecting your positive wire to the pin labeled "5". You may need to put a 5k Ohm (aka 5000 ohm) between pin 5 and the positive wire to your screen. It doesn't have to be exactly 5K. I used a 12k Ohm resistor and a 10k Ohm resistor in parallel, which equals 5.45k Ohms. Don't move your negative wire; keep it soldered to pin 4.

I have noticed a TINY bit of flickering with Pokemon Yellow, but that flickering was there before I modded my Game Boy Pocket and it's not the backlight that's flickering. It's probably due to a lot of movement on-screen.
Finally: the surface!