GBC to TV?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Carnie1337
360 GamerTag:CarnieEST
Steam ID:Carnie
GBC to TV?

Post by Carnie1337 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 am

I have a good idea for a first project, but couldnt find any information online as to if its possible to connect a gbc to a tv via av cables?
I guess you just find the right wires and connect them but something tells me its not this simple :wink:

Rokkuman

Re: GBC to TV?

Post by Rokkuman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm

It's not simple. It's.... really hard. I couldn't tell you exactly how hard it is, maybe some of the Gameboy Pros can.
If you really want to play your GBC games on your TV, buy a Super Nintendo and a Super Game Boy 2 (Japan).
As I said, maybe one of the GB experts can explain better.
EDIT: http://www.rival-corp.com/2010/12/02/ga ... adapter-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's working on a GBC version. Now I feel stupid.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 am

there is a GBA to TV add on you can get, basically you replace the back panel and you get a plug in adapter for it

Super game boy 2 does not have game boy colour compatability

Carnie1337
360 GamerTag:CarnieEST
Steam ID:Carnie

Post by Carnie1337 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks for the responses all :)

The actual idea of the project was to make the gbc playable with an nes controller, which has to be easy and simple, its just buttons. I just though about giving it an external display as well, having a controller and all already.

The adaptor does look really hard.... :shock:

And I dont want to use a Super Game Boy 2 or whatever, takes the hacking fun out of it :wink:

Rokkuman

Post by Rokkuman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:05 am

Modding your GBC to work with a NES controller is certainly easier than hooking the GBC to a TV.
Many people has done it before.
There's this thread about doing it on a GBC (you can found the mappings here)
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 19&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diminuendo wrote: Super game boy 2 does not have game boy colour compatability
For real? Then whats the difference between it and the regular SGB? I was thinking on getting one...

Helpplease

Post by Helpplease » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 am

Diminuendo wrote: Super game boy 2 does not have game boy colour compatability
Rokkuman wrote:For real? Then whats the difference between it and the regular SGB? I was thinking on getting one...
From wikipedia: "Additions included a link port to allow a user to access two-player mode via the link cable, a green game link LED, and a red power LED indicator. In addition, it came with eight new default borders, which replaced those in the original model (except for the plain black border, present in both models); however, it retained the same built-in palettes and coloring tools as on the original model. Contrary to rumours, the system is unable to run Game Boy Color-exclusive games. One of the flaws is the system's inability to change borders in some games that have built in borders. Some games have features only available through the Super Game Boy 2, such as a special Tetris DX border.

The original Super Game Boy is known to play the game program and its audio 2.4% faster than other Game Boy hardware. This is due to the use of the Super NES' clock speed divided by 5 (which ends up being 4.295 MHz), instead of 4.194 MHz.[2] The timing issue can be rectified by adding an appropriate crystal to the Super Game Boy and disconnecting the Super NES' clock source.

The Super Game Boy 2 plays games at their proper speed."