I need help moving some buttons on a GameBoy Color.

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

skittlespider
I need help moving some buttons on a GameBoy Color.

Post by skittlespider » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 am

I have been working on a modification to a GameBoy Color. I am basically putting it into another case that I have custom designed for the project. I was just wondering is it possible to break off a part of a circuit board and connect it with wires?

I basically just want to move the "A" and "B" buttons 1/2 inch to the right to make them fit in the case better. I think that will be easier than designing button extensions or something like that.

I included an image to show the board and how the parts are labeled. It is pretty easy to figure out what portion is what button (thanks Nintendo).

An example of a similar idea can be seen here: Ben Heck's Portable PS1 (It is a little past halfway down the page, where he shows how the inside was wired. From what I can tell, he broke his PS1 controller into sections.)

Muniosi

Re: I need help moving some buttons on a GameBoy Color.

Post by Muniosi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Yes, you can, as long as you wire the traces together. Here's what you need to do: first, cut off the part of the board that you want to move. Then, scratch off the lines coming off of the board and stopping at the edge with a penny/fingernail/key/screwdriver. Next, solder a wire from each trace to the trace it originally led to.

skittlespider

Re: I need help moving some buttons on a GameBoy Color.

Post by skittlespider » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for your help. I am not completely finished, but I posted a step by step guide anyway so I could enter a contest. (Votes would be appreciated)

Here is my (almost) finished Gameboy DS!
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Gameboy-DS/