Dmg/Gbc external LED mod

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

ubernerd198
Dmg/Gbc external LED mod

Post by ubernerd198 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Like most of you, I enjoy the earlier gameboy models. However, I hate not being able to play when it is dark and you dont have acces to a lamp or do but are unable to use it(i.e. in a hotel room with other people at 2:30 A.M.). I also dont have the money for a back/frontlighting kit. My idea was that i drill holes in the case around the screen and attach a currently unknown number of LEDs to illiuminate the screen. My 2 major concerns are the LEDs breaking if the gameboy is droped, and the LEDs being too bright and cant be used(see above example).Any feedback as to the likelyhood of this working,recomendations on how to do it, LED placement, color used, or problems that I have not seen is greatly appreciated.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice then sit back and let the world wonder how the f**k you just did that

Rokkuman

Re: Dmg/Gbc external LED mod

Post by Rokkuman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 pm

There's no need to drill anything.
I'm currently doing the same thing to my DMG, and I got really good results.
Soon, I will finish it, and post pics and a tutorial.
I'm using two white LEDs, and, believe,me it's enough.
With my system, the lights can be turned ON and OFF, if you think it will drain the battery.

ubernerd198

Post by ubernerd198 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 am

Even better then. Pics and a tutorial would be great. And thanks for the confirmation that it could be done. But due to other people in the room being annoyed by bright lights, i think I'm going to use red/blue/green LEDs. Haven't decided just yet.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice then sit back and let the world wonder how the f**k you just did that

Rokkuman

Post by Rokkuman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Well, you're welcome!
No need to change the color of the LEDs.
Just diffuse them with some sandpaper.
Search on Google for "diffuse leds" and you should find the best method. Not difusing them, however, may cause you to have headaches. At least that happens to me.

ubernerd198

Post by ubernerd198 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:17 am

thanks again. That will come in very useful when i get around to actually doing this.

Apeshit

Post by Apeshit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 am

No modifications are necessary. You can get a wormlight for less than it would cost you to buy LEDs and a link cable.

I'm not sure if they made them for the DMG, though, but you could use an adapter.

Epic Lavalamp
360 GamerTag:Epic Lavalamp

Post by Epic Lavalamp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm

crap wrote:No modifications are necessary. You can get a wormlight for less than it would cost you to buy LEDs and a link cable.

I'm not sure if they made them for the DMG, though, but you could use an adapter.
Exactly what I thought...

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Wormlights suck.

An led mod would look better.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Epic Lavalamp
360 GamerTag:Epic Lavalamp

Post by Epic Lavalamp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

hailrazer wrote:Wormlights suck.

Debatable...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9CTFnl9 ... re=related

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Epic Lavalamp wrote:

Debatable...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9CTFnl9 ... re=related
OMG that looks terrible. Did you even look at the pic in the description ? He shows how it looks in the dark and it is absolutely horrible.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 am

glare is suck, and it's no fun. go to a gas station get a led flash light, crack open a game boy and... you can do the math here right? also I saw some stuff I think it was on hack a day where some one modded even the color backing on the screen so it was completely red, not green. looked killer. Might be on benheck forums can't find it on hackaday.... any way do the mod learn more ignore impatient users with little posts and no real contributions. (sorry but you've railed to be more lazy jack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmWKUAQ ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here you go...

any way the more you do your self the more you learn

Apeshit

Post by Apeshit » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:20 pm

You mean an external LED mod like he was considering doing or internal? Internal would not look better (in my opinion, at least), and a wormlight is just an external LED. A DIY alternative would be much more annoying than just spending 3 bucks on a wormlight.
Last edited by Apeshit on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:49 pm

I mean not getting your hands dirty will teach YOU nothing. Get them Dirty, inspire better work.

Can't argue that.

Can't discount much of it, unless your hands are cut off.

Mungoo

Post by Mungoo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:22 pm

As for wiring, just hook up the new LEDs in parallel to the power LED that's already in it (they'll only light up when hooked in a certain way)...just make sure to put the right current limiting resistors in series with the new LEDs so you don't burn them out.