Light and stroke D250 Handheld LSD25

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

cennar
Light and stroke D250 Handheld LSD25

Post by cennar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:46 am

Work logging Netbook recase. PCportable.

The LIght and stroke D250 Handheld Touch Mod. (LSD25)

Working on the heaps of Net books cheap off and on the shelf right now, I looked up some decent ordered parts for a Touch screen kit. since I've already done some mods in the past (Portables of doom if your new to this place past 2007 will have a pic of some really early stuff)

I haven't done any thing in a wile, so this is a good start for me. I plan on posting this for sale with my signature and by my forum, You can go there Via my Sig Image Bellow. Not a place with out strongly amoral tangents. Nothing is off topic there I assume no resonseablity for your offince, if you feel I may have said things there you don't like... I didn't bring it to you, and I wouldn't post those things on Benheck.

now I'm going to stop plugging off...

Case design:

A Netbook with screen reversed, touch panel added, joy stick carved in half, Case with design an old one I just pulled out of my many books full of designs. the net book it self is my D250 Acer. It's about as peppy as you can get a d250. not much special but It plays GTA MTA SA decently. Right now I've made this paper mock to make adjustments, this is the second one made with all refinements to aid in port exposure and venting. All Ports but one USB port are left unused by this layout. Layout is extremely important to have down as your craving out good ideas. I was going to have and may include next time portrait instead of landscape, though when it's all together I'm sure i would gain some how by using Landscape, or both in any case I didn't want to lose any functionality. In fact adding placement for two Joy sticks and 8 buttons would enhance my work flow is flash, having made all kinds of input devices in the past to make my work go by quicker this is no different. The added Touch screen will be up for review when it's done. I've sent away for a Controller and resister a few days ago. I should see it in a few weeks to the end of the month. in the mean time I'm going to be looking for materials. I've been asked to help with a model of a historical building latter this month as well as that unfolds I'll have the tools again to make a few cases for latter designs leaving the Ebay shipping to arrive so I can gun it to installation.

No call yet on price, I'm thinking to be fair I'll want 500 bucks. Parts + Time + case design + original unit. Considering I've so far put almost the cost of the computer back into it's self I might be happy a bit higher but not by much, I don't think I could sleep at night If I asked any thing unreasonable. unit should be wider and slimmer, wider by 8Cm or 3inches, slimmer by at least 1/8th an inch or 4 millimeters. going to find plastic, recycled is my vow...

Last edited by cennar on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cennar

Re: Notebooking down to new low

Post by cennar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:14 pm

real sexy materials found for the case, unexpected effect realized, will be cutting out pieces today... no pics for a wile. I really didn't expect to find this kind of thing for the case.... Oh it's a good thing I got a hackaday account.

I'll leave you with this question: What is Love? Baby don't hurt me, No More...

cennar

Re: Notebooking down to new low

Post by cennar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 am

cutting case, some non revealing pictures on my site. this things going to be a bit different.

Work lots.

cennar

Re: LIghtSimpleD250 Handheld Touch Mod

Post by cennar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Status update:

Case about 99 percent complete, mail in parts all here. Looking for good dual analog USB controller that's not expensive, May resort to Ebay, all the junk stores in London are really terrible. Might even settle for a new one since I've kept the build cost to a minimum thus far.

if your ever going to do a mod like this and you move around allot, do some research into the places your going. I think the next season I have to move for work, I'll stock up on what's cheap there and then when I come back to Ontario for school I'll buy up what's cheap here, playing it up with the best of both worlds. Also this is the first place in a long wile where I don't have room mates, a huge Bonus, I know don't have to watch for cigarette burns on my keyboard when I come home. I can even leave stuff in the cupboards and it will still be there. If you can't avoid living with other people then put all the uncased electronics in a stable place, if you put them in boxes they can get messed up. I think my old man used to call it "hanger ware" when his friends model air planes got destroyed before they even made it to the field. Lots of people have to live with limited privacy but you can still do just fine, last school I was in I did the entire first year wile couch surfing. The second year I lived on top of a bar with a few egocentric performers. and my final term I was living out of my car with my girl friend. we did most of our home work in her basement I even made my I-Pod glasses at a friends house when I had time to spare. the only victims where a keyboard, a laptop and my saliva. (the Saliva was in a way it's own punishment, don't smoke that stuff if you don't know what it's supposed to do, even though it's legal, and harmless.)

any way here are some pics more will be on my site latter.

cennar

Re: Light and stroke D250 Handheld LSD25

Post by cennar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:56 am

had short lived hick up getting my school work handed in the other day. Work in and Finished. The Case I decided to cut a slightly different shape out fort the bottom part of the case. since the last one went together so quickly I don't mind starting over. in fact since yesterday I'm back at the same status. the reason why is when I saw the new case I missed all the old stickers that had collected to the back of my Net book screen. I cut the screen backing for the case out and it's part of the new tablet back side. I wanted to have a flatter shape too, and the first Idea didn't do it well enough. What can I say I want to take my time with these things so I can stay sane out side of school.

Pictures on my site (look under handheld PC) so far of the front case lights and key holes cut, pics tonight of; the complete backing too and game pad rewire (Yay surface joined awesomeness of an old X-box controller mixed with made in Canada 3rd party Snes controllers)

Also One note I discovered all of my tools are 100percent Canadian made.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 pm

right now I've had to take a small break from working on this. The basement flooded and all my stuff had to be moved. the next day I went back to work on the case. now it's all the little bits. the bits that arn't to finicky or hard to adjust. the case is other wise done.

Wiring the case is going to start tonight. I wanted to test the computer first so last night or the night before when I had time, I put most of it back together and fried it up. it boots, but the fan dies and the screen doesn't come back on.

I looked into it and there are some problems firing the d250 up after reassembly. but it's normal. the net books on the market are almost the same standard board arrangement. all had the same problems and mods alike. (MSIwind Emachine EEEpc)
The solution was the same for each. break up the components again (dissemble) and visual inspect for any thing that could have fallen on to the board or it's connectors (dusting carefully) and put it all back together (resemble)

yep take it apart and shake the crap out of it. My problem was a small plastic bit was siting on the ram slot. fired right up. Though I only have my tablet to run the machine. next up is wiring up the controller and removing for the time being my log on password so I can travel and use the thing until we get the controller for the Touch screen.

Complete:
Case 99.9 percent done

computer condition normal

controller 25.00percent done

screen and controller 50percent.

Extras:
Found added USBhub for internal layout.

Removed the stock wifi antenna.

added three stage light controller and 9 LED lights..

nothing else planned but keeping it travel ready for our trip west for work.

since this was not a big progress it's not on my blog. but you can visit my link on my sig below to see what ever pictures I've collected and more details.

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:10 pm

hey a few things since last post. The Controller for the game pad side of things fried, we found another one for a buck that will do a better job.

the touch controller did show up. it's being sent to Vancouver island, then brought to Vancuver when Chelsea and I show up for the 20th of April. (Celebrate that stuff)

I was working on part of it in the car the other night and the mouse Graphic tabblet stopped working. so I had to use my credit card to get a keyboard. which is worth it because I still had nothing to comand visuals with till the things in a propper shape (oh yeah I'm A VJ called Beboe LAsvagas aside from being a budding animator, and the LSD25 is my only tool right now, and I hope when it's done it still well be) the keyboard got the tabbet working and I'll beable to work on a few more things, aside from being able to update with out writing to text too frig up each post.

ahh what else, added a Svid RCA jack to get video to any thing. I've got a few other things I might add if I find a decent USB hub latter on, but right now I'm just picking at this thing wile Chelsea and I stay alive out here in the BC Kootanies. (Love it out here, sorry to the Midwest, but I'm home again!!)

I'm keeping it under wraps for a wile, might even do some worth wile case changes latter, I think this ones stood up well, it's been built cross country and still has a few little things left, again the touch screen components have yet to meet up. I'm going to fashion a mini Projector pretty soon, I've got every thing but the LCD, but that's only the matter of acquainting a dying 90s Cam-quarter, to a plate of 27 LEDs.

to every one on benheck, giver giver, and hell if your like me, you'll realise your just a rambling man, you've got to keep on rambling.

should you chose to ramble

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:58 pm

at this point in time I'm at a hotel diner in a ski Villa. I'm eatting samon and cutting open the LSD25 to drop components in it.

It's kind of fun, I should have been traveling and modding earlier, this is sweet.

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 pm

still working on this thing. it's been my work line for cartoon stuff for my last trip. I've been working on other things since I got back home. still progress has been made. check out the Arbutus live wire link to find it now behind aluminum. post slow due to worker strike. waiting on my old tools and some parts... still some how.

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:44 pm

this is way way done now.. at least it has been finished and in my hands making frigged up cartoons the hole time still works and is where I want it to be. even got an app to get the screen rotation going. (yeah some intel drivers are missing some thing from there regestery and says "F*CK NO" to turning 90o degrees, but irotate does a good job with out doing any Ram sucking)

When I feel like slapping some more of the accessory bits together. There will be a final write up for the Ben Heck forum, as for the rest of the mods I've been working on should be, will be now a mod Retro Exclusive. (My site not that you shouldn't go and make noise, is mostly where I'm up loading animations and Images of Gaming projects.)

Any ways Pics and a video of the touch screen kit working with out to much work coming in a bit.

cennar

Post by cennar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm

here are some pics before I get the rest up loaded, it should be said that this is not yet complete. the computer it self is done. the last bit is the peripherals. currently this mod book has been a loyal hardworking asset.
it was mounted to a small collapsible tripod. but the base on the thing couldn't tilt up or down as well as one would expect from a camera tripod. so I removed the base and put it on a LCD mount I found in the trash. works better the screen sits on my desk with out any obstructions sticking out like you would get from a tripod base.

here is a teaser of some of the peripherals. I don't mind the tablet thing at all. as some one who draws allot (oh do I draws lots!!) it's a great time saver and tool to cart around with my sketch books. However I like to type, some times program and play videogames, emulators and what have you.

all is good out west. keeping busy and staying alive.

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 am

oh yeah the what you call it, the blue prints where lost on this one some time ago. right now i'm looking for some quick source for 100 or so crap tact switches. or like 10 copulate up VCR machines would do nicely. oh well.