Original Game Boy Problems and Modding

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

j7512
Original Game Boy Problems and Modding

Post by j7512 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:49 am

I have 9 faulty game boys +1 sega game gear coming that I brought from ebay for £28.99 including shipping and I'm planning to open them up to see what their problems are. I just wanted to know what are the usual problems with game boys.

This is the description that the seller gave:

"A few of the Game Boys work with no more than a missing pixcel line, one of them works more or less fine but you have to push the 'Start' button extra hard to make it work.. 2 have missing screens.. However all of them have their battery covers. The Sega Game Gear comes with a carry case, but is also sold as faulty the sound works fine but the screen flickers..."

It seems to me that some cleaning with rubbing alcohol will fix some of these but I'll have to wait to see if this is true before I can acually confirm.

After fixing these I intend to make my own smaller case about the size of a NES controller and after cutting up all the PCB into smaller parts I intend to put it all together. A possible addition I'm thinking of is putting backlight and possible a tv out jack.

gamer255

Re: Original Game Boy Problems and Modding

Post by gamer255 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:24 am

posted in your Thread on MR.