Overclocked Gameboy Color Question

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Epic Lavalamp
360 GamerTag:Epic Lavalamp
Overclocked Gameboy Color Question

Post by Epic Lavalamp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Looking for the right crystals, anyone know if these will work? http://cgi.ebay.com/10pcs-20MHZ-Crystal ... 230ab669e4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not, feel free to point me in the righ direction :wink:

iHackedit

Re: Overclocked Gameboy Color Question

Post by iHackedit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

I've never done this before but 14 to 16 MHz is reccomended for this mod. Unless you want a super doopa fast game that you can't actually control properly hah.
Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-16M-16Mhz-16-Mh ... 1c18e8f8cd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
Edit#2: http://www.instructables.com/id/Overclo ... Boy-Color/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epic Lavalamp

Post by Epic Lavalamp » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 pm

I've actually seen someone install a 24mhz crystal and it worked, so I figured I'd go right in the middle and do 20. I asked the guy and he said the ones in my link should work, so I ordered them. I'll post it if it works, I might do a quick guide too, b/c the one on instructables is so blury...

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Oh. Okay. Can't wait for the results. Are you doing a switch so you can switch from the fast crystal to the slow crystal? If you make a switch bear in mind you can only change it from fast to slow so to change it back to fast from slow you will need to turn the system off. Good luck :D
And I will eventually make an instructable thats got somethng to do with modding a gameboy :)

Epic Lavalamp

Post by Epic Lavalamp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

iHackedit wrote:Oh. Okay. Can't wait for the results. Are you doing a switch so you can switch from the fast crystal to the slow crystal? If you make a switch bear in mind you can only change it from fast to slow so to change it back to fast from slow you will need to turn the system off. Good luck :D
And I will eventually make an instructable thats got somethng to do with modding a gameboy :)
I was planning on it, and yes, I was aware of the changing problem... What kind of instructable were you going to do?