GBA overclocking questions

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Mods 2 Go
GBA overclocking questions

Post by Mods 2 Go » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:51 pm

I was thinking of overclocking my GBA but I'm not too sure I fully understand it, or have the required materials, so I have a few questions.

1) Is there any other way to do it without soldering it?

2) According to the guide, there are oscillators in computers. I have many old ones lying around so I was curious if someone could point it out in this picture (sorry about the size) (or find it online, I tried but couldn't find any pictures).

Thanks a lot.

batteries
Steam ID:autolycus5

Re: GBA overclocking questions

Post by batteries » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey Mods 2 Go,

It's awesome you're tackling something that's so new to you. I can tell because overclocking a GBA and overclocking a laptop are nothing alike. :)

There are oscillators all over a laptop. Modern computers process things asynchronously. That means that different parts of the computer are working on things at different speeds. They all have their own oscillators. But, one could argue that the system clock is the main "oscillator." The system clock tells you roughly how "fast" your computer is. i.e. 2.0 Ghz, 4.4 Ghz, 200 Mhz, etc. This is what manufacturers advertise on stickers on the front of a computer.

A GBA is a way simpler machine. I don't know how to overclock a GBA, but I know GBAs only have one ARM processor with only one speed. If you change the speed of this processor, everything else speeds up the same amount. Everything in a GBA is synchronous. (Maybe audio processing is different. Im not sure here.)

Lastly, overclocking a GBA requires soldering.

batteries
Steam ID:autolycus5

Re: GBA overclocking questions

Post by batteries » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Check out this page for more info: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25718