GBA Transflective Screen/backlight?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Kryptofacist
GBA Transflective Screen/backlight?

Post by Kryptofacist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:31 am

Hey guys,
I am looking to backlight my GBA screen. I have done some looking around and everybody says that you can't backlight it because the LCD is reflective. I pulled out the LCD anyway, and found that light passes through it.

Here you can see the light from my phone passing through the LCD.

My question is: If the screen lets light through, doesn't that make it transflective instead of reflective and therefore, a backlight could be feasable?

I tried searching around the forums, but couldn't find an answer.

*update*
I put some LEDs behind my screen with a sheet of plastic to diffuse the light.
The LEDs shine through the screen ok, but when I put it in the dark, the screen is completely washed out. I now regret using superbrights.

Well, I can't think of any way to make the backlight work. Maybe somebody smarter than me can build on the idea. I am more than willing to share photos and information of what I did if requested.
Last edited by Kryptofacist on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 am, edited 7 times in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: GBA Transflective Screen?

Post by hailrazer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:40 am

Which GBA ? There is a non-lit, back-lit and front-lit version.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Kryptofacist

Re: GBA Transflective Screen?

Post by Kryptofacist » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:16 am

This is the original GBA (not SP or micro). Model No. AGB-001

plane phanatic

Re: GBA Transflective Screen/backlight?

Post by plane phanatic » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:51 am

I do believe that the GBA LCD is reflective. You'd be best off putting the light in front of the screen rather than behind. This will keep the light from making the screen look washed out. You could also add a small rotary potentiometer to adjust the brightness. It looks like your current setup works well though (judging by the pic's on pocket heaven). Great overall mod!

Kryptofacist

Post by Kryptofacist » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 am

I don't have any pics in pocket heaven...
The lights on mine look nice, but it doesn't work to illuminate the screen at all. I still need light to shine on it. I would try a frontlight, but I don't know how to diffuse the light without making the screen invisible that way. My plastic backing was just some clear plastic that i took to with sandpaper. Also, I have wires going across the back. Any ideas?
Thanks for the comment.

Kryptofacist

Post by Kryptofacist » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:00 am

I have a magnifying sheet I was saving to make a screen magnifier out of. But instead I might cut it to size and put it in front of the LCD for a frontlight. Hopefully the grooves will direct the light to the screen. It shouldn't distort the screen, as it will be right up against it. The only problem is that I will have to do some case modification to fit the LEDs in the sides. Cutting the magnifying sheet will also be difficult. I need a dremmel...