Nintendo DS Lite without top screen

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

boxerorange
Nintendo DS Lite without top screen

Post by boxerorange » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I am trying to make my DS Lite work without the top screen, but can not find any tutorials to do this or pin outs or anything. Any help?

3MZ

Re: Nintendo DS Lite without top screen

Post by 3MZ » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Shockslayer posted a video of a ds phat without a top screen on youtube, you could check his channel (youtube.com/shockslayer)

Dan the HERO

Re: Nintendo DS Lite without top screen

Post by Dan the HERO » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Why exactly are you trying to use a DS without a top screen anyway?

I'm actually quite interested in this, because I find it ridiculous that every Nintendo handheld game has been able to be played on a television, until the DS. Which I can completely understand the Wii not having DS compatibilities like the SNES had the Super GB and the GC had the GB Player, due to the touchscreen.

But why couldn't someone take, say, a DS Lite, chop off the top screen, and have that signal (the one going to the top screen) go directly to a TV?? I'm thinking almost like a Plug-N-Play; a GBA/console controller-esque bottom half of a DS, with a chord going to the TV.

Of course, this would only be practical with games where the gameplay is on the top screen, and the touchscreen is only used for menus, commands, etc. (which could be why there isn't a peripheral like this already). But for me, the only games I play are ones such as that, ex. Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart, etc.

Thoughts on my comment? I'm sorry if I went way off topic on your thread. I think I'll just start my own with this, but you spurred me.