Question on Game Gear modding

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Legendary_Zero
Question on Game Gear modding

Post by Legendary_Zero » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Hello, I have seen a couple of videos for mods that have been done to add a game pad port to the system. Has anyone done or seen a tutorial of how this is accomplished?

Here is a link to the video showing it off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w71Nh9H ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Mcdoodle

Re: Question on Game Gear modding

Post by Mcdoodle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Adding a "game pad port" is really easy. All you need is DE-9 (DB-9) port and solder it to the GG Ext port.

Here's a pinout:
My Portables
None yet :|
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%

Legendary_Zero

Post by Legendary_Zero » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Sounds great! Now will that work for first player or only for SMS games with the Master gear?

I'm considering gutting a Genesis 2 and placing the innards of a GG inside for kicks :)

Mcdoodle

Post by Mcdoodle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Since in the pinout it says, 'Player 2 joypad for Game Gear in SMS Mode', so I'm thinking its going to work as player 2 with a SMS game. :wink:

The only problem I see with your idea is video output from the GG unless you are going to built the screen into the Genesis. I think I've found a way how to get video output easily but I need to buy the parts and try it out. :|
My Portables
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%

Legendary_Zero

Post by Legendary_Zero » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Well, for player one support would I be able to say bypass the connections of the actual buttons of the GG and wire them to a D-9 port?

Mcdoodle

Post by Mcdoodle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Yep, I think they are some copper spots near the buttons that you can solder to.
My Portables
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%