Water damaged DS.

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

ozzbot
Water damaged DS.

Post by ozzbot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:55 pm

I've been given an old DS phat that I'm fairly certain has moderate water damage, and I'm wondering if anything is salvageable. Particularly the top screen, though the touch screen would be even better. I just don't want to get my hopes up. Also I'm thinking of getting into more electrical stuff involving circuit boards and such and it's something I'm not very fluent in, though my pseudonym suggests otherwise. I'd like to learn without spending much money on a project so any suggestions would be welcome. Assuming that I purchase all the parts however, as I'd rather not take apart any of my beloved consoles. Which is why I'm questioning about the Ds I was given since taking it apart and getting useful materials would be almost profitable.

Sorry, a bit long winded, but any help is appreciated. I'll also be posting almost this exaxt same question about an overheated gamecube, so if you don't know much about DS modding but are experienced with the gamecube I would appreciate you running over to the gamecube forum and answering my question.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: Water damaged DS.

Post by Snow_Cat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Actually, try takign it aparth then flushing the circuit boards out with distilled water or rubbing alcohol; I've revived entertainment centers fron sunken yhacts with a thorough cleaning.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Snow_Cat wrote:I've revived entertainment centers from sunken yachts with a thorough cleaning.
Assuming I interpreted your typos correctly... That is seriously awesome and I want to know more. Do you have a blog or something?

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:43 pm

While at the Institute I got to talking with my peers about 'irrelevant courses' and the subject of sailing came up. That led to the fact that every hurricane season yachts get blown off of their mourings and sink around the islands, and the owners usually don't have the money to raise them and just leave them to rot after they retrieve their personal effects if they find their ship at all.

One of my schoolmates happened to have had summer a job at a salvage operator in Toronto (of all places) that was raising these ships and stripping them to their hulls for resale. *)

He later brought a pile of electronics (amps, stereos, GPS, sonar, consolles, etc) into the lab to be stripped for parts and I said "The corrosion doesn't look too bad, why don't we rinse the salt off and see if we can't get these to work." An inappropriate use of the men's room later and we had all of the solid state components working (stereo, amp, sonar, gps, etc).

Things with moving parts (tape decks, cd-players, OEM-region-free-Playstation) did work (electronically) but were much too fiddley to dissassemble, clean and lube. I think we swapped the CD-mechanism in the Playstation becasue we used it to play Naurto at a LAN party.

The only screens we were unable to repair were those that were smashed by the salvage operator, or other students seeking the high voltage components- as luck would have it, the seal that keeps the liquid crystal in kept the saltwater out.

*I keep wanting to spellign it y`hacht for some reason

This was before my blog which I started after leaving the Instutute (no schededuled hours) and I haven't kept it up to date.

--

My guess is that there is a residue from the water that is interfering with the electrical connecions/contacts of the buttons and it may have gotten between the layers of the touchscreen.