Im New and need help with a GBP light mod

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Ratchetxrc
Im New and need help with a GBP light mod

Post by Ratchetxrc » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:00 am

Im new to hack and modding and i have always wanted to mod something since i saw a ds led mod.

So Im asking for help with a Gameboy Pocket light mod. I would prefer to use leds instead of one of those backlit screens you can buy and i think itll be easier to use leds instead. Some sort of guide would be really helpful though im gonna needa buy another GBP to do this but i guess itll be worth it. So thats preferably a led frontlit mod (at least 2 or 3 leds for the mod). I feel like im asking a lot but yeh thats what i need help with.

Also if i found a guide for a DMG gameboy front/backlit mod would that work with a pocket or are all the internals different to not make it compatible

batteries
Steam ID:autolycus5

Re: Im New and need help with a GBP light mod

Post by batteries » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm

First step is... Google it!!! or Search for it on this forum or Mod Retro or Racketboy. This has been done a billion times and there are a lot of good guides out there. In particular, Bibin has a solid guide.

You can use only LEDs if you want but there will not be any diffusion. So your screen will be bright right next to the LEDs and darker the further away you get from the LEDs. If you have an anti-reflective panel or some sort of diffusion screen, the light will be evenly distributed across the screen. This will look way better. If you only have a few dollars to spend, LEDs are the only thing that fit that budget. But if you have $10-$20 you can do much more wonderful things with your GBP.

Lastly, the guides for backlighting an original DMG Gameboy are mostly applicable to GBP except how you would wire up the power supply for your LEDs. Nearly every different model of Gameboy has a different way you would wire up your LED power supply. I think most people use the power from the power indicator LED for use for their LED screen light