DEBATE: Extreme case-mod or simple frontlight?

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Fanboy
DEBATE: Extreme case-mod or simple frontlight?

Post by Fanboy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Hey all...

I know I don't post often, but I'm a long time member/ lurker. Some of you may remember my outlandish comments and jovial posts of yesteryear, for those who don't: Hi! I'm Fanboy :mrgreen: .

I used to have a GameBoy Color in purple, which I loved to death. Then I got a GameBoy Advance in black, which I liked okay. Then I got a DS, which I loved as much as I loved my first GameBoy. Now, I gave my DS to my brother because his broke, and I was fine with my GBC and GBA. Fast forward a little bit to yesterday: I remember my trusty GBC and GBA, and search all over for it (with my copy of Pokemon Yellow), but, GASP! It was gone! Luckily, I found the old "spare" GameBoy Color in Teal.

Out of boredom, I began to look up methods for lighting the screen. I know of the standard, "Gank an SP screen," solution, which would work out fine because of the surplus of GBA SPs in my area, but then I thought of something: The GBA SP (open) and the GBC are pretty similar in size and layout. Would it be possible to shove a GBA SP into a GBC case? I figure that way I could run GBC and GBA games. Of course, the GBA SP lacks a headphone jack, but that wouldn't be hard to install...

So, how practical is it to but a GBA SP in a GBC case? Should I just stick with a frontlit GBC and be happy? I'm feeling pretty good about my skills after finishing my customized N64 controller, and I'm looking to tackle another project.

-Fanboy
God Bless Hot Glue

GekoMaster

Re: DEBATE: Extreme case-mod or simple frontlight?

Post by GekoMaster » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Fanboy wrote: ...
Out of boredom, I began to look up methods for lighting the screen. I know of the standard, "Gank an SP screen," solution, which would work out fine because of the surplus of GBA SPs in my area, but then I thought of something: The GBA SP (open) and the GBC are pretty similar in size and layout. Would it be possible to shove a GBA SP into a GBC case? I figure that way I could run GBC and GBA games. Of course, the GBA SP lacks a headphone jack, but that wouldn't be hard to install...

So, how practical is it to but a GBA SP in a GBC case? Should I just stick with a frontlit GBC and be happy? I'm feeling pretty good about my skills after finishing my customized N64 controller, and I'm looking to tackle another project.

-Fanboy
the extreme case mod sound awesome!, i think i just found my next project.