[DS Lite] Slot-1 Replacement

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

JariV
[DS Lite] Slot-1 Replacement

Post by JariV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:49 am

Ohaithar, Benheckers,

My projects (1) (2) of RETRO consoles are currently on hold, with as biggest reason the lack of time. BUT I will happily introduce you guys to a smaller project, replacing the SLOT-1 of a DS Lite.

Yes, of course, this isn't big, people did it, probarly the Simpsons and Southpark even did it, but /care/.
So, little introduction will start here. Well, actually, 2 lines down from here.
One line down from here.
Introduction Yup, here.
I happily used a DS Phat, for almost 6 years now. No, not really, you're right. I used it untill I got my DSi, and from then on my little sister used it. But stop interrupting me! So, the DS Phat worked, and was happy. But since a few months, it doesn't charge properly anymore. I replaced the battery (TWICE?!) and tried a different charger (ONCE?!) but; no luck. That's when I decided to buy a DS Lite. So far, so good eh?

BUT?!
Instead of paying around a hundred bucks for a working one, I decided to pay ONLY 40 bucks, for one with a broken SLOT-1. That's how this small project was BORN.

Needed stuff and shizzle
Tri-wing screwdriver
Philips-head screwdriver
DS Lite
Replacement SLOT-1
Soldering Iron
Solder

Got everything now, except for the SLOT-1. It's on his way tho, and hopefully will arrive this week. But maybe next week. Only I hope this week, since I'm going on vacation next week.

Friday, 9th of July, 2010
I opened up the DS Lite, it was very stressful. The bottom-casing really is tricky to get off without damaging or bending some stuff. But yeah, it's open. The SLOT-1 is attach by 4 soldered spots, and transfers data thru <20 contacts. Wont be hard to replace I think. Hopefully the replacement SLOT-1 will arrive soon :D
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

GBC-Bit

Re: [DS Lite] Slot-1 Replacement

Post by GBC-Bit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 am

Nice idea, but you have a ds phat, why don't you use that ones slot 1 card slot?!
GbcBitHacks.WordPress.com

Come vist my wordpress blog and be awesome there :o)

JariV

Post by JariV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:34 am

Because I will later also try to fix the DS Phat, since I'm a Nintendo-collector ;)
themadhacker wrote:

GBC-Bit

Post by GBC-Bit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:46 am

oh, well okies, :)
GbcBitHacks.WordPress.com

Come vist my wordpress blog and be awesome there :o)

JariV

Post by JariV » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:48 am

Ohai.

Yesterday I got home in the evening, and guess what was waiting for me? The replacement SLOT-1. I opened up my DS Lite again, and now I went further. I disconnected everything on the main board, so I could lift it out. My soldering iron is gaining heath right now.
themadhacker wrote:

JariV

Post by JariV » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:03 am

Hm, I can't find my desoldering wick anywhere... Unless a miracle happens, I won't continue this project untill I get back from my vacation in Sweden. That will be around the 1st of August.
themadhacker wrote:

JariV

Post by JariV » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 am

I got a desoldering pump :D
Gonna desolder the old DS Slote now.
themadhacker wrote:

JariV

Post by JariV » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 am

/Late/

I finished the project, the DS Lite works again! One tip for people who'd like to do this too: when putting the DS Lite back together, make sure the power and volume slides are positioned right. I had to take it apart again twice :'(
themadhacker wrote:

JariV

Post by JariV » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 am

Lol copulate this, my sister dropped it and now it's broke. Sold it for 30 euros and gonna buy a working one now.
themadhacker wrote: