Re-arranging the buttons on a Game Boy

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff
Re-arranging the buttons on a Game Boy

Post by Jaruff » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Here's my dilemma. I'm currently working on a Game Boy Classic mod and the GB motherboard is too long for it to fit in my case (changing the case is not an option here as it would ruin the entire idea). What I need to do is trim the motherboard (remove the D-PAD and other buttons). I was already planning on re-wiring the buttons to separate bread boards (need to for the case) but I was hoping that I could fit the motherboard in the case without having to slice it up.

Regardless, if anyone has some pointers, schematics, pictures, et cetera, I would love to know about it.

palmertech

Re: Re-arranging the buttons on a Game Boy

Post by palmertech » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:11 pm

What is the mod? Have some ideas that may or may not work, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Excellent

Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:33 am

I'm stuffing the Game Boy inside of a Dreamcast controller. Space isn't an issue as the controller has been gutted and everything will fit inside. The issue is that the Game Boy is too tall for the controller. While the board will fit horizontally, the idea of rotating the screen seems just as troublesome.

Looking at it today, I see two possible ways that I could pull this off:

1. Trim the board as mentioned in my first post.
2. Remove the screen from the motherboard, rotate it, and re-attach it.

I'm sure there are more options but that's what I can think of. If I can get this issue fixed, everything else will fit into place.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:45 am

Either way, you have a real job ahead of you. :P

A gameboy pocket would be a heck of a lot easier to fit. You can get rid of almost the whole bottom of the board.

Excellent

Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Well, I went with ripping the screen off the mobo. It came off fairly well and I think I have something to work with. If it doesn't work, oh well, the original case was already damaged from storage.

If it doesn't work, I'll pick up a pocket and try that out. Thanks for your help.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Have a look here: http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/DMG_Schematics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lower left corner of the first schematic. DA1-DA4 are marked on the board. (They're on the back of the LCD board, in the same area where the actual LCD is)
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total